Thursday, June 01, 2006

Taking a closer look at the menu

Last week, for the first time in a while now, I found myself wishing my last boyfriend was still around. It was not because I missed him, however, or genuinely thought he should be back in my life. No, it was because my lawn mower was broken, and I didn't want to figure out how to deal with that on my own.

I'm not playing the helpless damsel-in-distress card here and implying that anything mechanical requires a man to handle it, and anything "homey" is a woman's domain. I really am a better feminist than that. It's just that, while there are plenty of homeowner-related tasks I'll freely tackle on my own*, small engine repair is simply not one of them. [I did manage to replace the mower's spark plug with a bit of advice from my neighbor, but beyond that, there wasn't a whole lot I felt comfortable trying.] My ex-boyfriend, on the other hand, while no expert on the matter, either, would at least have given it a go. Not because he's a man, but because he's all sorts of handy and he owns the proper tools and he's confident with trial and error. I have to say, whatever was missing in that relationship, whatever reasons it didn't last, the guy was terribly useful to have around. Not only was he good at fixing things and installing things and figuring things out; he also owned a truck, which means that even if he'd been unable to fix my ailing lawn mower, he would at least have made it easier for me to transport the thing to someone more qualified for repair. On top of that, he liked to cook, so it's not just the traditionally manly things that made him an asset to my life. Frankly, in retrospect, the scales were probably unevenly tipped in that relationship, and I'm really not sure just what it was I brought to the table.

I'm kidding (mostly). That's really not true. My ex-boyfriend was not perfect (that's really not the point), and I can actually think of several things I contributed to his life (and no, I'm not even talking about the dirty stuff).

In any case, I've been thinking a lot lately about which relationships work and why and which ones don't and why. [I'm sure this analysis has nothing to do with my recent dating spree or with my best friend's upcoming wedding or with the various things I've been reading lately. (No, actually it has everything to do with all of those.)] I don't claim to have any solid and universally relevant answers, but I do have some thoughts on what I think works for me.

Romantic or not, I've never been a fan of that famous "You complete me" line. And no, it's not just because it was uttered by the now frighteningly loony Tom Cruise to the insufferably squinty Renee Zellweger. It's because I hate the implication that I might not be a whole person on my own and I'm searching for that man who will fill in the gaps. Still, as I learned from my reliance on my ever-so-handy ex-boyfriend, I can't deny that a supplement to my skill set would quite often be useful. What makes a successful relationship, then (the way I see it, anyway) is a pair of compatibly intersecting life menus.

Apparently life menus are something Amy Krause Rosenthal wrote about, but I'm only slightly familiar with her work, so it's actually something I read about on Wordgirl's site a few weeks ago. (I hope she doesn't mind that I'm piggy-backing off that.) The idea, basically, is that for all of the gifts each person is given--all the skills and talents and desirable traits that prompt jealousy from friends and enemies--we all have negative traits that balance out the list. For example, I'm relatively good with words (much of the time, anyway; that's probably a dangerous claim to make in the midst of a post that seems to be rambling on to nowhere), but I cannot do "restaurant math" without checking and second-guessing and basically giving myself a headache. I can read a map and be a successful navigator, but my internal compass is not particularly reliable. I have tiny, ladylike wrists and relatively toned arms, but I also have this freakish toe thing that I don't want to go into, and... OK, you get the point.

These are not the traits that are particularly relevant to a relationship, of course, but the concept still holds true. We all know that I don't cook, so a guy with that on his life menu will score some extra points with me. As will a guy who can fix things and install things, who takes an interest in investment planning, and who will call the cable or phone company when there's a problem.** In turn, I'll begrudgingly clean the house (sporadically, at least), do the laundry, balance the checkbook (as long as I'm not in a restaurant), and ensure he can use a comma and a semicolon correctly.***

I realize a lot of my focus here is on tasks (or rather, task avoidance), and I surely don't mean to overlook the obvious other benefits of a relationship (love and companionship and all that). But when you've lived alone as long as I have and have been alone responsible for all the many time-consuming duties that come with being a functioning adult and homeowner, it's hard not to consider the truly practical side of partnering up: the welcome division of labor. I'm reminded, suddenly, of the Simpsons episode where Homer runs for Garbage Commissioner on the platform of "Can't someone else do it?" I imagine that one of the very real benefits of having a husband around is the ability to say "Yes, as a matter of fact; someone else can."

Household job-sharing aside, I do think this life menu idea is valid. Recently, I had more than three dates with the same man (remarkable, yes, I know), but despite our many common interests and almost eerie similarities, it sort of fizzled out. I'm not really sure why, but the best explanation I can come up with is that our life menus didn't intersect. I know I'm just looking for a boyfriend/companion at the moment; I don't need or want to get married immediately, but I'm still at a point where I can't help considering the long term. And when I consider the long term with this one, all I can think is, "Sure, we'll never fight about what CD to listen to on road trips, but one of us has to have a sense of direction." Or, "OK, we'll agree on a restaurant with no problem, but one of us should probably cook once in a while." On top of that, he was also a writer, so my occasional prowess with words wasn't even particularly notable to him. Our life menus (the plusses and the negatives) are identical; we need some variety in the mix. After all, no one really wants to date themselves, right? And that's sort of what it felt like with him.

Maybe all of this is just another way of saying that opposites attract. I've been reluctant to subscribe to that theory, because I think it's hard to have a relationship with someone who shares no common interests or who has a fundamentally different set of values, but maybe those are not the sorts of opposites that cliché is about. Maybe it's about finding someone who compensates for the things you lack or encourages you to grow in ways you wouldn't on your own. Maybe it's about choosing someone whose qualities will mesh with yours to make a successful team (much like I try to pick Trivial Pursuit partners who can pick up my slack in the Sports & Leisure category, knowing full well I'll contribute my part on the Entertainment questions). That, to me, is what this life menu concept helps to describe.

Regardless, until I find the elusive guy whose life menu intersects perfectly with mine, I really am quite fine and happy on my own. I worry that perhaps all this talk of dates and searching makes me sound in some way desperate for a relationship, and that’s really not the case at all. Red's recent post titled Sex & the Single Girl really resonated strongly with me, because I feel exactly a lot of the same things she described.**** I'm fiercely independent, and like Red, I often feel like the "lone wolf" who has a harder time figuring out how to make room for someone in my life than figuring out how to live comfortably on my own. I do want to find someone to share my life with, but I'm not in any rush to force it if it's not right. The search for love shouldn't be like a game of musical chairs, where we all go around in circles until the music stops and then grab the nearest seat just so we're not left out. I don't want to feel pressured to be at some other place in my life just because it's where most of the people around me are. Like Lea Thompson as Amanda Jones in Some Kind of Wonderful, who pondered whether it was better to be with someone for the wrong reasons than alone for the right ones, I'm confident that I'd rather be right.

Oh, and my lawn mower? It's fixed now, without any help from a man (except, of course, for the man who I paid to fix it). I don't need an intersecting life menu for that after all.


------------------------------

* I scraped and repainted the exterior of my whole damn house last summer nearly entirely by myself; remember?

** I can't be the only one who hates talking to those people, right? Is it even possible to call with a quick question or problem without being subject to a series of unwanted sales pitches for additional services?

*** OK, I'd be hard pressed to find a man who's really looking for help with his punctuation, but I had to work that in somewhere, don't you think?

**** Seriously, if you haven't read that yet, you really should
click that link and do so, because it's extremely well articulated and relevant.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm. I don’t mean this as any kind of criticism, only advice. I think maybe you might be over-thinking things a little bit. While it’s good to keep everything you’re thinking about in mind and not compromise on what you’re looking for in a person, I honestly believe that it all just boils down to you “you know when you know.” You can go to great pains to find someone who isn’t a writer or who knows his way around a kitchen. But it doesn’t mean a thing unless you catch yourself smiling about him during the day or want to sing out loud whatever song you’re listening to at the moment because, goddamn, just knowing him makes you feel alive!

Anyway. Those are my thoughts on this.

Stefanie said...

No, no, you're right. I didn't really mean that any of this is really hard-and-fast rules (I probably beat a dead horse by analyzing too much what was really just a little theory). I'm fully aware that the magical connection that keeps people interested in each other can't be explained by any logic. I guess I'm just thinking about the explainable part outside the unexplainable, if that makes any sense.

And I haven't caught myself smiling unexpectedly about anyone I've dated in a really long time, but if I did, you're right--I wouldn't care at all if he cooked or had any other items I could check off the list.

stinkypaw said...

Last night a co-worker of hubby came by for dinner and while we were talking he asked about how we've met. I used to be his karate instructor. And I liked his sense of humor. Things went down hill from there, but seriously, if someone would have told me that I would end up with him I would have laughed in their face. Besides martial arts we didn't really have much in common (or so we thought), but throughout the last 14 years we've come to realise that we did and most of all, he brings out the best in me (and I hope I do the same!?!). Our relationship is built on respect, we are the person we are because of our past, etc. and his strenghts (like his diplomacy) compensate for my weaknesses (like my boldness). But most importantly, we don't expect of the other what we wouldn't be willing to do/give ourselves.

I think the most important thing is that "you'll know" (like Darren said)...
Keep on doing what you're doing (i.e. dating) and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous said...

First, I have to say I love that you have TWO links about semicolons. That knocks my socks off.

Second, I don't think you're overthinking it in the overly rational sense. Yes, Darren's right, but going through the thought process you just did is a big part of dating, whether it winds up applying in your next relationship or not. You can't just blase through life without examining what you're doing and thinking and why.

And third, while the term "life menu" is a bit odd, you keep saying "intersecting," which makes me think of Legos. Like two people clicking together! Aww.

Stefanie said...

Stinkypaw--"Things went downhill from there," but you still ended up together? I'm not sure how that works, but it's a cool story and congrats to you. I do try to keep an open mind when I meet a guy and not make a snap judgment right away, but I feel like "I just know" when it isn't right much like you and Darren are saying "you just know" when it is. Your story makes me hope I haven't given up on someone too soon, though!

Maliavale--Yes, I thought it was pretty amusing (or hopelessly nerdy) that I was able to locate more than one link for that, too. (I could have linked to other punctuation posts as well, but they're not specifically semicolon-related.) Oh, and the Lego idea with the clicking and all is cute indeed. :-)

stinkypaw said...

ooops... I guess my humor got lost in translation... "went downhill from there" meaning it was the begiging of the end, we fell in love and I ended up proposing to the guy!

-R- said...

I was going to let you come borrow my lawn mower if you promised to mow my yard, but you had to be so self-sufficient and get it fixed already!

I think the rest of the post is interesting too... I don't subscribe to the idea that opposites attract, but it is interesting to think of the idea of a couple getting along because the compensate for each other's "shortcomings." H and I definitely do that.

Guinness_Girl said...

I loved this post, Stefanie. I always hated the thought of settling, just so as not to feel left out of the marrying crowd, and eventually I did find the person who's not perfect, but he's perfect for me.

I'm not really buying the "life menu" theory, though. I get it to a degree, but...the last fight Wilman and I got into involved who was going to kill a bug in our apartment. He informed me I do not have to say, "WILMAN! There's a roach! Right there! Come kill it!" when I am "perfectly capable" (scoff) of whacking said bug with a shoe myself. My response? "NO. I am not. Now that we are married, this is YOUR job."

Is that so wrong? Or - are we doomed as a couple because neither of us has "bug killing" on our life menu? Hmm....

Stefanie said...

Thanks, GG. And killing roaches can totally be Wilman's job. That's more an agreed-upon (or, SHOULD be agreed-upon) division-of-labor thing than a personality strengths (i.e., life menu) thing. I realize I blurred the line between those two concepts as I wound around in the post, though. I was sort of all over the place in my brain when I started this one, and didn't quite hit the mark how I wanted. Oh well.

Incidentally, I cannot write your alias abbreviation (GG) without thinking of Gilmore Girls. Does anyone else have that same association, or it it just me??