Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I am the keeper of the semicolon

I promise I'll stop writing about punctuation after this. (Or, I'll stop for a while, anyway. I can't promise it will never come up again.) But I just had to show off my newest accessory, hand-crafted by a friend of a friend who makes fabulous things out of discarded other things. Like typewriter keys, for instance.



I think it's safe to say I am the first customer ever to request a semicolon, of all keys. Initials, yes; I'm sure he gets that all the time. Maybe even a Caps Lock or Shift request every now and then. But a colon and semicolon? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just me. If I hadn't already gotten the friend-of-a-friend discount, I think I should have gotten a reduced price just for taking one of these off his hands and out of his stash.

Yes, I do realize I'm a huge nerd. You needn't point it out. At least I haven't purchased this as my new work bag yet. Because I totally thought about it. Really.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO cute! I love it. Does she have a site?

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I see typewriter key jewelry a lot lately; I love that stuff! Can we get the blogfriend-of-a-friend discount? (Please note proper use of semicolon above when considering decision.)

Stefanie said...

Well done on the semicolon use, Malia. You crack me up.

I don't think he has a web site, unfortunately. I'll email you two the little info I have, though, OK?

Miss Peach said...

Is there an m-dash? I'm an m-dash addict. My boss literally sent back a draft of something yesterday with a note that read: "Suggested changes below. And Miss Peach, cool it with the M-dashes."

Stefanie said...

Miss Peach--I think back in the old days you had to use two hyphens for that; I don't think there's ever been an em-dash key. I love the idea that I'm not the only person with a trademark piece of punctuation, though.

Red said...

I like that! Where's his page?

Stefanie said...

Red--I don't think he has a site, but I'll send you the same info I sent Nabbalicious and Maliavale (basically just a set of photos of some of his work).

Guinness_Girl said...

Stefanie, can I get the info, too? I love the semicolon necklace! Along similar lines...I recently became the proud owner of the "Good grammar costs nothing" t-shirt from www.glarkware.com. Woot!

Anonymous said...

Stefanie, can I get the info, too?? I love that.

Stefanie said...

GG--I LOVE that shirt! I actually almost linked to that in this post as well, along with the "Grammar Police" bag. Truthfully, while I find that bag hilarious, I probably wouldn't have the guts to carry it around. I have considered the t-shirt, however.

I'll send both you and Stacy an email shortly with the photos and such.

Anonymous said...

You have wonderful taste, not only in jewelry but also in punctuation! I think it could serve as a nifty tool during verbal exchanges, as you could touch the semicolon whenever you spoke two closely-related sentences. It would be a way of making the semicolon visible since it isn't audible.

Jasclo said...

Ha! I totally need that bag. And that necklace. :)