Saturday, March 19, 2005

Hi.

Right then. So. How to begin...

Do I really need a blog? No. Of course not. (How many people who have them really do?) But you see, once upon a time, I thought I was creative and thought I could write, and now seven years as a technical writer has seemingly drained all such creativity out of me, and habitual laziness has kept me from attempting to do anything about it.

Friends used to tell me, "you should write a book." They said this because I'd take some little detail, some minor observation on the world or the people around me, and I'd turn it into an amusing story in a letter or e-mail... This is very different, obviously, from putting enough of those little details together to form a compelling story or a humorous essay. Somehow I've never mustered the energy or motivation to take that next step. Maybe this is due to lack of talent or lack of real creativity, but I prefer, again, to attribute it to laziness. I would say that my battle with laziness has affected most areas of my life, but to call it a "battle" would imply I am doing something to fight it, and fighting is not something a lazy person is apt to do.

In any case, I'm starting this blog in an attempt to encourage myself to get thoughts to paper (or, "virtual" paper) on a more regular basis, in the hopes that occasionally I might capture something worth turning into something else. Maybe I'll find that I really don't have much to say or much interest in saying it. Maybe I'll keep this to myself or maybe I'll share a link with friends and let them weigh in on things as well. I don't really know at this point. Guess we'll see where it goes. In any case, hi. I'm Stefanie, and this is my blog.

No comments: