Sunday, May 03, 2009

Of course, rats DO have a bit of a PR problem, after that whole plague thing

It seems that if I take a couple weeks off this whole sharing my life with the Internets thing, I completely forget how to do it. I have done lots and lots of mildly if not completely interesting things lately, and yet here I sit, staring at a blank Blogger box, not sure what to tell you about any of them. This is one of those times when a bulleted list of what I've been up to might be in order, but I would actually have to consult a calendar for that, such is the scattered and forgetful state of my brain lately. Besides that, I am guessing that most of you don't care which film festival movies or concerts I've seen recently. Perhaps you are more interested in the outcome of my M-P-R-ty date?

I think we can safely call that a date, by the way. Not because of any solidly positive outcome post-get-together, but because he paid. Ignoring all nuances and variables, isn't that the simplest metric we all know? I hadn't planned on him paying, by the way, even though it ended up being one of those inconveniently alcohol-free Coffee Dates, meaning that him footing my bill set him back all of a mere three dollars, give or take a dime. But he reached the counter first, and although my wallet was out, he turned to me after ordering and asked, "And what would you like?" Because I will always be the girl who lets whatever thought is in her head find its way immediately out of her mouth, I said, "I ask you out for a drink, and you end up paying?" To which he replied, "Well, sure! That's the way it goes, isn't it?" True, I suppose. That is the way it goes. On dates, generally. I decided that comment meant we were on one.

So then. How did it go? I have no idea, actually. I mean, I had a lovely time and would be happy to see him again, but that nonsense back in December has left me unable to trust my instincts in these scenarios. We talked comfortably and easily. He laughed at my jokes. I laughed at his. But he is also a very charismatic, warm, and friendly individual. I would venture to guess that he could have a comfortable and easy conversation with Hannibal Lecter. Maybe he would have bought Hannibal's coffee, too. My point is that I think he probably left feeling he had a perfectly pleasant time, but whether "perfectly pleasant" equates to just a routine, benign way to pass a Sunday morning or a spark of interest in something or someone new is anyone's guess right now.

I ended up with about 20 minutes to kill between the time our coffee date dispersed and the time my next plans for the day began, and since the next item on my agenda was only a few blocks from Carrie's place, I stopped over to give her an update.

"Well? What did you learn about him?" she asked.

I tried to formulate a brief summary. "He has two cats, he is not afraid of ghosts, and he thinks rats and pigeons have been unfairly maligned."

"That's a good list," Carrie replied. "Is that what you wore?"

I was a little worried for a minute that I should have posted a photo poll to garner wardrobe advice after all, but Carrie quickly assured me that my outfit was fine and the jeans I'd chosen were worthy of an encouraging and suggestive facial expression I'm not sure I've seen her make in my direction before. I don't actually think there is anything special about those particular jeans. I think she's just so happy to see me in anything other than the four identical pairs of Mossimo jeans I somehow acquired that she would make any face necessary to help ensure I consider buying a new pair of pants in this decade.

So. Now we wait. And I stop typing, because there is no sense typing about something that may be nothing and because I really do think it's best if I just put this out of my mind in a come what may (forget what may not) sort of way.

All that out of the way, let's move on. What did you do this weekend?

13 comments:

shelleycoughlin said...

I hung out with Noelle Tannenbaum! We also wore jeans, but not in a suggestive way.

3carnations said...

Sounds like a lovely time. I also have identical jeans. I like it that way.

Sarah B. said...

Isn't it normal to stockpile a style of jean that you like? Sounds like the date went well and given your list is a bit more interesting than just every day details, sounds like great conversation was had.

flurrious said...

I think from now on I'm going to have to insist that you wear a wire when you go on dates and then upload the audio file to your blog.

Anonymous said...

That's SO how our conversation went, inference about my facial expression and all. Hilarious. Those jeans are flattering and refreshing and not from the store that starts with T and ends with a "zhay." Maybe that's what sets them apart, and also sets you apart when you wear them.

-R- said...

It sounds like the date went well!

My weekend was uneventful, although H almost got into a fight with a teenage boy and the boy's mom at church. During the service.

The weather was so awesome yesterday! Yay spring!

lizgwiz said...

Well, at least it wasn't a painful and awkward 90 minutes you'll never get back--that makes it a successful "date" in my book. ;)

My weekend? Well, I killed onstage in the Gridiron, and Hot Med made me lunch (stir-fried vegetables and rice) on Saturday, and dinner (pizza and salad) on Sunday. I could get used to having my own personal uber-healthy chef. Hee.

Shelly said...

Sounds like a good date to me! But I'm no one's definition of an expert, so there ya go.

courtney said...

Sounds like a good date! And please don't let that nonsense from December make you doubt your instincts. You're still a smart girl, no matter how douchey that last guy was.

My weekend involved attending a party in which two people (neither of which was me) put themselves in serious contention for the title of Funniest Drunk Person Ever. I'm awarding the title to the guy who accidentally broke into his neighbors' house and passed out on their couch in his underwear.

Alice said...

i never know how i feel about "dates" like those - good, because it was a good time, so i should just feel refreshed that it's possible to have a good date with a regular dude.... or depressed because it makes me wish i were DATING a nice guy who i have a good time with. heh. dating! it's so fun!

Heather said...

That sounds like it was great! Except for the rats and pigeons bit. They've been under-maligned, if you ask me. Let's see how Mr. MPR feels when a rat sees fit to die in his bathroom and splatter the walls with its own blood.

Stefanie said...

NPW--You know, it's been a while since anyone made a crack about you and Noelle being secret lovers. Perhaps it's time?...

3Cs and Sarah--I also keep buying the same bra. When you find something that works, you stick with it, right?? :-)

Flurrious--Yeah, I'm sure knowing I'm being taped would totally help my success rate with this sort of thing. I'll get right on that.

Carrie--As I have told you before, the only people who know when you're wearing Target clothes are people who also buy clothes at Target! It's like a secret club (a club of cheap and lazy people), and I'm fine with being a member!

R--Oh my. Is there a bloggable story there? I think so...

Liz--No, it definitely wasn't painful (at least not from my perspective). Nothing anywhere close to that "So, nonfiction means 'not true'?" nightmare. THOSE are two hours I still want back! (Kidding, actually. Those are two hours I should be glad I spent. We all need a measure of just how bad a date can get, right? For that, that awful date served its purpose.)

Shelly--I'm no one's definition of an expert either. Clearly I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Courtney--Oh my. I thought stuff like that happened only in John Hughes movies.

Alice--If this one follows the same pattern as the one in December, then I'll feel good about it initially, happy to have a good date, and then depressed later when I realize apparently I'm the only one who thought it was a good date. :-(

Heather--Um, that's a visual I could have done without. Thanks much! ;-) Did that actually happen to you?? Or to someone you know? Either way, I'm horrified.

Sauntering Soul said...

I agree with everyone else....sounds like a great date. And I'm sure your jeans were awesome. I wore my favorite jeans (favorite because they are the only ones which don't cut off my circulation right now) to the studio on Saturday night to teach a class. They now have a giant blob of white paint on them. I am sad.