Saturday, September 03, 2005

Did you at least get a picture in the Mountie hat?

Overnight I received two phone calls between the hours of "I'm obviously in bed" and "I'm still trying to sleep." The latter call came at 7:40 a.m. Nobody, NOBODY who knows me would call me and think I'm awake at 7:40 on a Saturday morning. Not even my mother calls at that hour (at least, not since she got an earful about it after a few early morning phone calls while I was in college).

Speaking of my mother, there is, apparently, at least some small trace of her in me (I cringe to admit), because I couldn't hear the phone ring at an absurd hour and NOT consider that it may be concerning an emergency of some sort. Apparently my worrying streak is outweighed by my lazy streak, however, since I just couldn't bring myself to get out of bed and run to the kitchen to catch either call and find out.

The caller ID box this morning shows that both calls came from the same source: a friend who's currently on vacation in Canada and presumably staying up late engaging in all sorts of hijinks and debauchery. In that case, I can explain the first call as perhaps an attempted diversion while her travel companion chatted up some sexy French Canadian or maybe just a desire to reach me and let me share in whatever fun and amusing sort of evening the two of them were having. I can't explain the second call, however. Anyone who's out having fun at close to 2:00 a.m. should not be up for a chat a mere six hours later.

If she were in the Twin Cities right now, I would worry these were "Come rescue me, please; I'm in a bad place I don't want to be" calls. The Girlfriend Code is much like a parental responsibility in that situation. When a friend is in need, running to her aid is unquestionably more important than a bit of sleep. I very much doubt she'd expect me to come to Canada to rescue her, however, so another explanation is likely in order.

This leads me to ask... If you get arrested in Canada, do the police let you make your one phone call from your cell phone, or do you have to use their phone? Because if they let you use your cell phone, and my good friend was actually behind bars (or at least in an uncomfortable chair beside a very stern-looking man in uniform) when she phoned, then I am indeed very sorry I missed the call. Also, however, Bravo to said friend for having the most interesting "What I did on my vacation" story I'll likely have ever heard.

No comments: