Thursday, October 06, 2005

File under sacrilege (again)

Perhaps you're familiar with sweet little Charlotte Church, the pure and chaste 12-year old with the voice of an operatic angel who sang songs about Jesus on PBS specials a few years back. My very Catholic mother proudly bought her CDs--probably at Sonlight Books, the same Christian-friendly book and music retailer that kept us stocked in the Kids Praise tapes we sang along to every week on the way to and from Grandma's house--and she stacked them on her CD rack alongside Jimmy Rodgers, John Denver, Patsy Cline, Daniel O'Donnell, and the soundtrack to Riverdance.

Oh, Charlotte. Sweet Charlotte. However did you end up here? (Or worse yet... here?)

Obviously I blame Britney. Though I rolled my eyes, it was maybe a little cute when she inspired Maggie Simpson to do a suggestive little dance in her crib and then wink with a can of Duff cola, but is no young lady immune to this contagious lack of decency? Aren't there enough half-clad divas of the "barely legal" set prancing around for the cameras without this one joining the ranks? Her last name is Church, for heaven's sake. Oh, the sweet irony.

Poor Charlotte. Poor my mother. I wonder what she'd say if she saw that dear Christian girl busting out of a shiny pleather corset.

What's next? Psalty caught doing lines with Danny O'Donnell and Pete Doherty in a seedy bar somewhere? For my mother's sake, I hope not.

No comments: