Thursday, October 20, 2005

In case you're curious...

It costs $5.32 to ship an envelope weighing less than one pound to Edina (40 miles from my office). It costs $6.30 to ship a 20-pound box to St. Paul (22 miles from my office). It costs only a dollar more to ship the same size box all the way to central Wisconsin.

I am convinced this discrepancy can mean only one thing. Clearly the UPS drivers in Edina are offering other perks and services with their deliveries, to accommodate the needs and expectations expressed by the residents of one of the Twin Cities' poshest suburbs. (They say, after all, that Edina is actually an acronym for "Every Day I Need Attention.")

My guess is that the driver presents the package on an engraved silver platter accompanied by a white doily holding fresh baked cookies. The man in brown offers a warm towel and a foot rub to the recipient, and then carefully sweeps his bootprints from the entryway before departing to his truck.

That must be it. Seriously.

Yes, I realize this isn't much of a post. I'll remedy that sooner or later...

No comments: