Sunday, May 14, 2006

Google me this

Friend: So, how many dates before I'm supposed to know the guy's last name?
Me: You don't know his last name yet?!?
Friend: No... Is that weird? Why does it matter at this point?
Me: How the heck are you going to Google him if you don't know his last name?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've recently come to the conclusion that there are two types of people in this world: those who think nothing of Googling someone's name just out of harmless curiosity, and those who think doing so is tantamount to parking your car outside said person's house and keeping an eye on them through a pair of dark glasses and a set of binoculars.* I am, of course, in the former school of thought.

I know I'm not alone, because Nabbalicious has mentioned recreational Google-sleuthing more than once as well. But surely it can't be just us.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't something I spend hours a week doing (not even in particularly unmotivated and procrastination-prone weeks). Often the name I choose to Google is someone I haven't even thought about in years and have no intention of actually contacting, but typing in the name is just the electronic-age equivalent of wondering out loud, "I wonder whatever happened to..."

Rarely does the search even turn up anything helpful. Google knows, for example, that my old friend Craig's grandmother died, but it can't tell me anything about Craig himself. I already knew my first maybe-boyfriend was an EMT and volunteer firefighter; can't Google find me a picture as well? Oh. Skinny Joe has his own business now. Don't you have any more information on that, Big G?

I don't typically Google strangers, of course. Unless that stranger (or near stranger) is a prospective date. I'll admit it--since I started meeting people online, the first thing I do upon receiving an email that contains the guy's full real name is Google it to see what turns up.

I don't even know what I'm looking for, really. I could take the paranoid and pessimistic high-ground and say I'm weeding out thieves and rapists before they know where I live, but surely only the most well-documented criminals will ever turn up in such a search anyway. If I were trying to figure out the more realistic and relevant dirt (Does he have terrible taste in music and movies? An embarrassingly awful laugh? Does he yell at waitresses and store clerks?), I'm not going to find it on Google. If there were a national blacklist for ex-boyfriend data (now there's an idea I should pursue further at some point...), perhaps personality flaws and relationship sins would be documented by first and last name for prospective future girlfriends to research. Until that's developed, however, I have to find these things out the old-fashioned way: by actually getting to know the guy myself.

Pre-date Googling, then, isn't so much about finding anything useful, but just the fun and the challenge of finding anything at all. The Internet has become so far-reaching that even seemingly uncommon names can yield numerous red herring results. Is my date the "stable isotope laboratory" guy, or the one by the same name who shows up under "Shop for hardcore gay XXX movies"?** I was pretty certain it wasn't the latter (I'd seen the guy's picture, after all), but found it hilarious and shocking nonetheless.

I have a few friends who think this Googling habit is some unforgivable invasion of privacy. This comes mostly from married friends who haven't had a need to research prospective dates since well before the turn of the century. Just to make sure I'm not alone, however, I've brought the topic up on a date more than once. So far I've yet to find anyone particularly thrown by the news that he's been Googled. When I told this guy that I'd found a picture of him with his high school soccer team, he just nodded, "Yes, yes; I Googled you, too of course." Another guy, when I told him I found very little in my search, sent me a tinyURL to all hits for his name. We're all equally curious and vain; we've all Googled our own names and know what turns up (or if we haven't, we certainly should... If I were the XXX movies guy, for instance, I'd probably want to know about that hit myself before a prospective girlfriend pointed it out).

Lucky for me, the only hits for my full name are entirely benign and uninteresting work-related items. If some guy should choose to conduct his search with slightly less specific information, however, I may have more cause for concern.


-------------------------
* Incidentally, you might also say that there are two types of people in this world: those who use the phrase "there are two types of people in this world" as a way to polarize everyone into black-and-white categories and those who don't. I really am usually in the latter group.

** I can't wait to see the Sitemeter referrals I get after boldly typing this right out with no masking or filtering whatsoever.



17 comments:

Red said...

I know, googling is such instant gratification. Sitting outside someone's house with binoculars takes time and, I don't know, insanity, but to google is so quick and harmless, it's like it didn't happen. Around my high school reunion I was googling people, some that I didn't even care that much about. Apatheic googling is the lowest form of it, I think. It's like lazy stalking.

Stacey Brandow said...

I'm a googler and not ashamed to admit it. And those people that you talk to that say they don't....just weren't quick enough to think about it, trust me, they did it after they found out they could. :)

Poppy said...

I find it highly suspicious when I can't find any information about someone via Google.

stinkypaw said...

Funny! I had not even think of googling my husband, so imagine my surprise when I saw his name on a few links. When I asked him if it was an actual quote of his that I saw, his answer was: "Don't think there's many XXX's in the world. I think one is more than enough, no? Did you Google me?"
Ok, so I married a geek, who googles "everything", that I know! Until a month ago I wasn't a blogger, so maybe this is the "end" of my Google free days?!??

Darren said...

Here, I'm going to try this again but without all the 'tardy typos:

I've had people find me not by Googling my name but by Googling themselves and discovering they've made guest star appearances on my blog. Sometimes this can be nice (like the old high school friend I hadn't spoken to in eleven years who emailed me two weeks), or it can be mighty awkward (like the old college friend who I hadn't spoken to in eight years and didn't appreciate being referred to as "a major pot head.") He totally was, though. Like, day and night.

Stefanie said...

Red--Ha. "Lazy stalking." If you know anything about me, you know that the lazy way is totally my preferred way to do anything.

Poppy--I know! It's like the kids who had nothing at all behind their name in the year book; it makes you say, "Where have you been, and what are you doing with yourself?"

Darren--That's the exact reason I haven't used full names when referring to anyone in my blog (like the Craig and the Joe I mentioned above). If I DID want to find one of these people, though, I do think that'd be an excellent way to do it. Sooner or later, everyone vanity-Googles themselves.

Oh, and I'll try deleting your original comment. Is that the reason you use Haloscan? The fact that you can edit other people's comments to fix stuff at their request?

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Liz...and I am a googler. (Hee)

Miss Peach said...

I find myself periodically googling a guy I still have a major crush on from college. It's sort of alarming how much you can learn about people on google if they have any job that interacts with the public sector. I sound really stalkery don't I? Hm.

When I google myself, it's all work related except for one relatively embarassing quote from my college paper regarding rush that I gave three weeks into freshman year. I know I get googled periodically by people whose projects I work on and I can't get over the embarassment of knowing they've likely read the article!

-R- said...

I know old friends of my husband's have googled him because his phone number cannot be found on the internet, but my work phone number shows up since we have the same last name now, so they call me.

I think it is fun to google people I used to know, but I wouldn't ever do anything with the info. And it's way better than getting out the binoculars.

Anonymous said...

You say "parking your car outside said person's house and keeping an eye on them through a pair of dark glasses and a set of binoculars" like it's bad or something.

That reminds me of a joke I heard years ago: Why aren't there any stalkers in San Francisco? There's nowhere to park! Nyuk, nyuk.

Anyway, when I first discovered Google, I spent a week Googling the name of every person I had ever met. It was SO much fun! And if I were dating, I would so be using that thing and not feel an ounce of guilt about it.

Stefanie said...

Miss Peach--A friend of mine has a similar story about how once something's on the Internet, it's there dang near forever, whether you like it or not. She's wishing she could eliminate one or two of the hits for her name as well.

Nabbalicious--I KNEW you would understand! :-) Glad you read this one.

Darren said...

Well, there's that and that all the cool kids use it.

And do you know that after two tries I still just caught a typo in my comment!

Bob said...

I self-googled and found you, as my first name is the same as yours.

When I have potential dates, I not only google them, I look them up on Iowa Courts online, to see if they have any sort of record. If they show up for anything other than traffic infractions, I won't go out with them.
Of course, I have a child, so I have to be extra careful, but I would highly recommend it if it's available in Minnesota.

Guinness_Girl said...

I love googling people. Another great pasttime is "weddingchannel"ing people to find out if they've married, if they have online registries, and (more importantly) if they and their spouses-to-be have good taste in presents. Hee.

Stefanie said...

Darren--Yeah, I saw that, but I wasn't going to say anything. If only I were a cool kid, I could fix it for you. Sorry.

Bob--That's funny. I wonder if anyone else has ever ended up here by that route. Oh, and I know about that site for Wisconsin, but I've not been able to find it for Minnesota. I know there's a registered Level 3 sex offender site, but I don't know where to find other records. Either MN doesn't have that or someone's going to take away my Web Savviness badge for not being able to locate it. (It's probably the latter.)

GG--Ha. That's a form of Internet investigation I haven't tried yet. I probably won't, either, just because I don't really need to be reminded that everyone I've ever known is married now.

Anonymous said...

I'm a googler...

I like to Google people I haven't thought of in years, and would never contact. I like to Google relatives...Nothing wrong with it. I've got nothing to hide.

Guinness_Girl said...

Stefanie, you'll be surprised how fun it is to make fun of ex-boyfriends' wives tacky dishware.