Monday, May 29, 2006

Holiday weekend: a recap

Things I did this long Memorial Day weekend
  • Listened to my dad tell the same [not funny] joke no less than five times.

  • Spent a full hour inside Storables, where my mother found herself as excited and enthusiastic about the unending storage solutions and household gadgets as the proverbial kid in a candy store.

  • Consumed approximately 23,742 calories.

  • And at least 17 alcoholic beverages.

  • Met a brooding, ponytailed man who keeps the ashes of both his mother and his cat in his living room (and apparently likes to touch and talk to both from time to time as well).

  • Drunk-emailed a fellow blogger at 3:20 a.m.

  • Huddled under a canopy during a mid-party downpour with an entertaining Irishman, a Pole, and a Kenyan Ugandan.*

  • Heard That's Amore** three times in the same evening (in two different establishments).

  • Mowed my near knee-high lawn (in 95-degree heat) before the neighbors got a chance to report me to the city.

  • Continued my battle against the massive ant underworld.


Things I did NOT do this Memorial Day weekend
  • Finished (or, let's face it, even started) the lovely landscaping project I have in mind.#

  • Cleaned my gutters, despite the fact that I recently noticed weeds sprouting out of one of them.

  • Answered any of the prospective-online-date-related correspondence that's lingering in my Inbox.

  • Joined my parents for a cousin's wedding (which was held in a middle school at 10:30 a.m. on a Sunday and which I therefore assume involved--ever so wrongly--no alcohol of any kind).

  • Perused or applied for anything on any job-related web sites.

  • Helped a good friend of mine paint her apartment, even though she asked very nicely.##

  • Incorporated all major food groups into any one meal.

  • Melted (thankfully, despite feeling like dissolving into a puddle was imminent).

  • Wrote a proper post for this neglected blog of mine.


--------------------------------------
* I'm actually taking some artistic license here because I'm really not sure from which country the third guy in our multi-national rain huddle originates, but I feel the need to clarify for the two people who were with me who might actually read this. Kenya, Uganda; hey, I was close...

** Is anyone else a little disturbed that this song comes up under the lyrics for the White Chicks soundtrack before (or instead of) under the lyrics for Dean Martin songs?

# I'm working on it, Poppy! I'll get to it one of these days...

## I'm sorry, Carrie; really I am. I'll be there for you next favor, OK?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I love the drunk e-mailing. Well, your weekend sounds far better than mine, except for weird ponytail guy. I had to work. Hooray for shirking duties!

Red said...

Next time, make it a drunken 3:20 AM blog post!

Anonymous said...

Related to *, he is from Uganda... and went to school in Wales... not that I have a crush on him or anything. :-)

-R- said...

Brooding, pony-tailed, and told you about his mother's and pet's ashes at the first meeting... tell me you got his number!

Stefanie said...

Red and Nabbalicious--Clearly I am an Internet addict if I'm checking and replying to email at that hour (and in that frame of mind). So frankly I am a little surprised, too, that I didn't feel compelled to post something. The recipient of the email says he couldn't even tell I was drunk, though (I spent all the focus I had left correcting typos as they occurred), so a drunk post might have been disappointingly mundane and not very entertaining anyway.

Jamie--I had to look at a map because my geography skills suck, but I'm pleased to realize the incorrect country I picked is at least right next to the correct country I didn't. Yay me. :-)

R--I didn't, sadly. (Actually, I'm just really glad he didn't ask for MINE!)

Stefanie said...

um, this is really weird. i have a blog named "stefanie says" as well, and i use the exact same freaking format.

Stefanie said...

Uh... that IS weird. Though I guess this is a common template. Definitely not a common spelling of "Stefanie," though. Hmm.

Poppy said...

I talk to the bookshelved ashes of my dead cat, Little Kitty, de temps en temps. Please DON'T tell Hay or he'll make me dig a hole in the backyard right this very minute and stick her in it.

Your landscaping project is your business. I made suggestions, but I'm not tapping my foot waiting for you to exact my plans. Unless, of course, that's what you want me to be doing because that's the only way you'll be motivated to get it done. :)

Miss Peach said...

OK, so maybe it wasn't as productive as you intended, but it sounds like it was a hell of a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

It's OK you didn't help me paint, Stef (although let's note it's quarter after 11 four days later and I'm STILL painting). I'll still invite you to the housewarming party.

Greg said...

Interesting. I've drunk-dialed, but never drunk-emailed. I shall try that next time...