Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Under Siege

I have this post that's been swirling around in my head for several days now, but every time I sit down to work on it, I keep going in too many directions. I can't reel it in and focus. For now, then, I just have this to say. My yard is under attack. By ants. Thousands--nay, possibly millions--of them are currently rallying outside my home, presumably organizing their imminent coup. And I am not happy about it.

Every spring since I moved here, the ants have built not just a typical mound, but a veritable multiplex condominium compound on the hill in front of my property. I am not exaggerating when I say the series of mounds that make up this compound spans a two-foot-square area. Every year, I douse it with insect spray, and the tiny bastards stagger around and die, leaving behind a massive patch of dirt so obtrusive that the grass doesn't even grow through it anymore. But my efforts don't deter them. Last year, they built a compound on each side of the hill. How they came back in strong enough numbers as to double their population I have no idea, but I sprayed both patches with well beyond the recommended dosage in an attempt to nip the problem in the proverbial bud. Last month, when both ant metropolises (metropoli?) returned again, I ditched the sprayer and poured the liquid directly onto the mounds.

After that, I thought I'd seen the last of them for this season. Then I stepped out my front door tonight and saw what looked like a flat little ant hill bordering my front walk. I kicked it, thinking I'd scatter the dirt and thwart the squatters' building efforts, and I realized that there was no dirt at all. The entire brown pile I saw was nothing but hundreds of writhing ants. A few feet away, a similar swarm was working its way out of a sidewalk crack in front of my door. Beyond that, another army was gathering near the steps.

I used an entire gallon of insect killer trying to do away with this latest development before they make their way to my house, but somehow I think I got not even a small fraction of them. I'm convinced, suddenly, that the surface dwellers are only the overflow (or, perhaps, the watchmen) of a massive ant underworld. I think if I were to dig just a few feet into the soil of my yard, I'd reach a point where the dirt makes way for a solid mass of squirming ants.

As you can imagine, this is somewhat unsettling to me. I've been jumpy and twitchy all night--constantly scratching and brushing away phantom ants every time I feel the slightest itch or tickle. Clearly this is no way to live, so I must defeat the underworld somehow. Dynamite is out, for presumably obvious reasons. I'm open to any other suggestions, however.


Incidentally, I do realize that these are just ants and some perspective is perhaps in order. Miss Peach, I'm not trading your mice for my ants, so don't even ask. Not even if you do throw in Darren as an on-call exterminator.


10 comments:

Darren said...

It might be time to bring out the big guns and hire a professional.

Anonymous said...

Ugh!! I squirmed the whole time reading this post. There was a small ant problem in my kitchen until a few days ago, but I'm going to stop complaining about it now.

Blech.

Miss Peach said...

SURE you aren't up for a trade?

Has it not rained there recently? In CA we always have ant probs when it doesn't rain a lot. But we also always have ant problems...

If I have any brainstorms, I will let you know!

-R- said...

Ew ew ew! I can picture the swarm of ants that you thought was a pile of dirt, and it is grossing me out. Ew. That is all.

Stefanie said...

Nabbalicious & R--I know, I know; I'm sorry. I really shouldn't have subjected the Internet to this story when I was already squirmy about it myself. I do apologize.

Miss Peach--Actually, aside from this week, it's rained at least a little bit dang near every day of the past month. So I don't think that's it. Good thought, though.

Darren--Actually, I did some research and I have another plan to try before I invest in the professionals. Perhaps I'll explain later... (Or perhaps I'll figure no one wants to hear any more about ants.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, fantastic! Now I'm itching and jumping. Outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Ants used to hide in our food when we lived in Hawaii. They'd crawl into the syrup bottle and die, just little black spots floating there. It was horrible.

Stefanie said...

Maliavale--Ewww! That's worse. Much worse. At least these ants aren't IN my house (much less my food)... yet.

JN--Again, I'm sorry. Really. I was planning to write something new tonight so this horrible ant post wasn't the first thing on the page, but I got sucked into "Stepmom" on TBS instead. Good thing I don't have "real" cable; I'd never pry myself away from the TV!

Red said...

I'd write something, but I'm quaking in fear.

Anonymous said...

hey im in canada and we have this problem in our building at 955 warwick court. except they're inside. cleaning your floors with scortching hot water is good, they die in an instant. someone told me lemon juice or vinigar because they don't like the acid. maybe even mopping with pure vinigar is good that way there is a thin existnce of it so they won't walk on it. these ants are pretty brave too..they will crawl on you. in jamaica stepped in an ants nest of red ants..yikes. childhood trauma when i was seven. i remember it even till this day