Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Self-tapping shoes?? I'm ever so pissed!

This is a fun toy in concept, if a bit imperfect in practice. And by "a bit," I mean wholly and entirely. On my first try, I tapped the song that was currently playing on the radio. Considering I was following along with the recording exactly, you'd think the Song Tapper would succeed. If you thought that, you'd be wrong, because instead of Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me," it came back with these [entirely oh-so-similar] suggestions:

Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
London Calling (The Clash)
Back in Black (AC/DC)
Angel of Death (Slayer)
Tiny Dancer (Elton John)

I tried again with REM's Nightswimming and got everything from The Police (Every Little Thing She Does is Magic) to Smashing Pumpkins (1979) to Morrissey and Metallica (You're the One for Me, Fatty and Whiskey in a Jar). It even guessed the Super Mario theme song from Nintendo. Not an REM song in the list, though.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has any better luck with this thing. And for giving you yet another way to distract yourself from working, you're welcome.

Oh, and that subject line? Clearly has nothing whatsoever to do with this post. I do realize that. But when I think "tap," I think "tap dancing," and when I think "tap dancing," I think of that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa discovers that even Ralph Wiggum is more coordinated than she. So I couldn't help myself, really. You understand.

1 comment:

don't call me MA'AM said...

I tried "We Are In Love"-- the Harry Connick Jr version.

I got Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker," and a few others that weren't even close. So... I "taught" it the right song. Still, no dice. "Yellow Submarine," "Since U Been Gone," "Blowin' in the Wind," and a few others that, again, weren't close.

I'm a musician, so I'm pretty sure I tapped the rhythm in correctly both times. My vote is thumbs down.