Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Tonight I'm going to party like it's 1982

Tonight was a very exciting night at my house. Tonight, I watched a first-run episode of Gilmore Girls on my own TV without the aid of my archaic rabbit ear antenna. Tonight, for the first time since my dorm and roommate days, I have a working cable connection in my home. I know!--Big news, right?

OK, I realize I may have oversold that a bit with the "very exciting night" business. But frankly, it's a Tuesday, and my expectations for a random Tuesday really aren't that high. And, quite possibly, I should get out more. But look! Clear picture! Rabbit ears disconnected! It's magical, really.



Yes I know that's neither Rory nor Lorelei, by the way. (My reception with the rabbit ears wasn't that bad.) In fact, it's some woman on a show I've never been able to watch before but I can now (if I really want to) because I get TBS! A lack of TBS has really never been all that important to me, but I expect it might come in handy some lazy Sunday afternoon when I decide that bonding with my couch is more important than cleaning my house or doing some other productive task I've been avoiding for any length of time. In the past, flipping through my measly twelve channels (all of which, by the way, feature nothing but sports and infomercials on said lazy Sunday afternoons) has often left me so frustrated by the choices that I'm forced to give up and actually do whatever task my couch time was meant to avoid. But now!--Now TBS, with its various recycled movies and syndicated sitcoms, might come to my rescue! I'm looking forward to my next Sunday morning hangover already! (OK, not really.)

In addition to TBS, I can also now enjoy a host of other benign and wholesome features, such as various community TV and public access stations, PAXNET (PAXNET? That's still around? Really?), and five (yes, five) shopping channels. Whee.

I also get CNN, two C-SPANs (apparently so I can ignore the legislative fun twice as often as with just one), and some sort of NASA educational feed. Sadly, however, I still won't find Jon Stewart in my living room. You can't get Jon Stewart for only twelve bucks a month.

I finally decided it was time to stop fighting the technological revolution when my relatively decent set of rabbit ears broke last week and I was forced to revert to the older ones I should have thrown away years ago. They're the kind of rabbit ears that really work only when you get up and walk towards them in a threatening manner, hands ready to adjust in whatever way necessary. As soon as I'd reach my hands toward them, the picture would be fine. When I'd turn to sit down again, the fuzziness returned. I'm not going to let two sticks of metal mess with me like that, so I finally decided that twelve bucks a month is a small price to pay for a reliable picture and a small slice of my sanity.

I could have stepped up to the "Standard" package and gotten a whole lot of other ways to kill time on a Sunday, but I'm frugal with my in-home service expenses (as evidenced by the fact that I'm writing this through a $4.95/month dial-up connection that every one of you reading this would laugh at). So for now, Basic Cable will suffice. Baby steps, you see. Baby steps. That's me.

6 comments:

Poppy said...

Has cable TV taken over your life? :) I hope you're doing okay!

Stefanie said...

Ha! Oh, Poppy, no. I've actually watched surprisingly little TV this past week (though I did get sucked into the syndicated sitcoms on TBS for a while yesterday, as predicted). Just too busy leading my glamorous and exciting life to bother writing anything new... or something like that (emphasis on the "or something like that, rather than on the "glamorous and exciting"). Thanks for your concern, and thanks for checking in. My stats say people are coming here daily, but it's almost always crickets in the comments. Glad to know you're out there. :-)

Poppy said...

I feel like a stalker if I comment on every post. Just so you know. Heh. Backing away now, so as not to creep you out. :D

Stefanie said...

Oh, that's quite all right. I shouldn't have said anything. Comment when you want; refrain from commenting when you want; it's all just fine by me. :-)

Paisley said...

Sorry to comment on such an old post...


but I had to tell you that

I love the Gilmore Girls and I assume that you do too...


I was incredibly sad that they had to show another repeat last night after 6-8 weeks of repeats and only two new shows before they flicked their nose at us. sniff sniff.

:)

Congrats on your award!!! :)

Stefanie said...

Paisley--No worries; you can comment on something six months old, if you want! That's where Blogger emailing me when I have new comments comes in handy. :-)

I agree the constant reruns of Gilmore Girls is entirely unacceptable. They were in hiatus for so long prior to last week that I actually forgot Lane and Zach had broken up! Then they tease us with ONE new one before reverting back to reruns? It's just not right. But like I said, I should probably get out more. There could, quite possibly, be more important things for me to complain about.