Thursday, April 06, 2006

Scotchtoberfest

In case you aren't aware, today is Tartan Day in the U.S. Apparently, Tartan Day is a day officially dedicated to celebrating the Scottish influence on America. Sadly, much as I'm fond of Scotland, I'm really not aware of that many particularly notable influences the Scots have had on this country. I mean, aside from plaid. And Ewan McGregor. Oh, and golf. I forgot about golf. And obviously without the Scots, we would not have Groundskeeper Willie, so maybe I need to rethink my hasty disregard for all things Scottish. The Scots' cuisine may never have been a big hit on this side of the pond, but clearly they've provided some fine contributions nonetheless.

If you didn't hear about Tartan Day, I'm sure you're not alone. I heard about it only because a DJ on The Current mentioned it this morning on my way to work. He then proceeded to play my favorite bagpipe song in honor of the day.

What? Stop looking at me that way. You mean to tell me you don't have a favorite bagpipe song? Come on.

I've probably mentioned once or twice that in college, I studied abroad for one semester in a town just outside Edinburgh. I'd know very little about Scotland myself if not for those five months there. But thanks to that trip, I know exactly what neeps and tatties are. (Hint: It has nothing to do with anything a stripper does or wears.) I've actually tried haggis. (It's really not that bad.) I can translate fun little phrases like "I dinna ken what to do with a wee Highland coo." I know all the words to Auld Lang Syne. I've seen Loch Ness. (Nessie wasn't out that day.) And, perhaps most impressive, I was able to comprehend nearly every word of dialogue in Trainspotting without the aid of subtitles.

Anyway, I bring all of this up not because I think we all need a lesson in Scottish culture, but because I think this Tartan Day thing could really catch on. If Halloween, Mardi Gras, New Year's, St. Patrick's Day, and even Cinco de Mayo are any indication, Americans love any excuse to put on a silly outfit or some tacky accessories and get shamelessly drunk in public. I went out on St. Patrick's Day; I know what I'm talking about. Why should the Irish (and Irish-wannabes) have all the fun?

I predict that it won't be long before drunken frat boys are donning kilts and tam-o'-shanters and cramming into bars each April 6 to down some Scotch whisky or throw back a few pints. Maybe the day just needs a less formal and dignified name and the endorsement of a major beer company. Of course, a bit of grass roots campaigning in the pubs across America won't hurt, either. I'm free tonight if anyone wants to help me get started on that.

5 comments:

-R- said...

Happy Tartan Day! I think drinking and random outfits are definitely the point of any holiday, so I think we can get this to catch on!

(PS What you said about Target is definitely true. Target only became popular in other states in the last 5 or so years.)

Anonymous said...

Ooh. I wish I had known. First, we have a family tartan that my mom is always trying to get me to wear places. Tartan Day would have been a great excuse to wear the cute plaid scarf.

Second, I used to have a bagpiper in my old parking lot. He'd just come out there, about 10 p.m., and hit it. It was so odd.

Darren said...

The Tartan Day Parade in New York was last Sunday, and there have been drunken, kilted frat boys running around the city for at least a week now.

Stefanie said...

Well, I guess just like bad fashion trends, Tartan Day is hitting New York first, and will make it to the Midwest sometime about three years from now. I should have known.

I did notice an announcement about the NYC parade on the Tartan Day web site. I noticed they spelled Manhattan wrong. Much as I love pointing out typos, I didn't think that was worth working into the post.

Miss Peach said...

I will HAPPILY help you out with Tartan Day. Happily. Great Idea!!