Friday, April 28, 2006

It's not you; it's me.

Who else remembers an old Seinfeld episode where Elaine breaks up with a guy because she doesn't agree with his punctuation use? While she's out, she gets a call letting her know that a friend had a baby, and the guy, jotting the message on a post-it note, neglects to add an exclamation point to the news. Elaine thinks it's worthy of an exclamation point; he argues that he doesn't just toss exclamation points out willy-nilly; so clearly the relationship is doomed to fail.

I'd like to think I'm more open minded than this. Really I would. And yet, reading an email from a guy who apparently wants to go on a date with me, all I can think is, "Seven exclamation points? In three paragraphs? Is that really necessary?"

Bear in mind that this was little more than a small-talk message, where the topics ranged from the Guthrie Theater's latest production to the guy's plans to visit his parents this weekend. I simply see no reason to punctuate excitement or urgency on any of these matters.

And this is why the Internet is maybe not the best place for an overanalytical dork like me to find my mate. At least I'm aware that the problem is, mostly likely, me.

11 comments:

Miss Peach said...

Stefanie, I could talk about this for HOURS. My main issue right now? Someone needs to make it knows that excessive use of emoticons is NOT COOL OR ATTRACTIVE. Emoticons should not exceed ONE per email message. And men especially need to follow that rule.

Darren said...

I don't think I would ever follow the statement "I have plans to visit my parents this weekend" with anything other than a long pause, a deep sigh, and then "Shit..."

Miss Peach, what "guy" would ever use an emoticon?

Stefanie said...

I'm a little more forgiving with the emoticons. More than one per email can be acceptable depending on the length of the email and the number of times it seems necessary to clarify a tone or something. But it's a fine line, I agree.

What I have an even bigger problem with, however? "LOL"s. Hi, are you 13? Are you an idiot? Are you REALLY "laughing out loud" every two sentences? Enough!

Oh, don't get me started. (Too late.)

And Darren? It was actually the exclamation point after the sentence about the parental visit that I found most unsettling. Glad I'm not the only one.

Red said...

I once met a guy online and didn't go out with him because he couldn't spell. Then I introduced him to my friend, she married him, and they were divorced within six months. Coincidence? ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I HATE the fucking LOLs. Just express it the right way, and you don't need all that damn filler!

And I used to keep a weekly tally count of exclamations from an overzealous friend. It was regularly brushing 100.

Anonymous said...

The only time I use LOL is to mock someone at work who actually SPOKE it once. Someone said something, and she said, "LOL!" I also try to show restraint with emoticons, but will go nuts with them when I'm really excited.

Also, I could never, ever go out with a guy who couldn't spell or punctuate properly. It's a deal breaker. Spelling like you're eight years old is not at all sexy.

Poppy said...

You are so funny! STOP I love that you compare him to a Seinfeld episode. STOP Keep in mind there are more annoying things in life. STOP Like saying STOP at the end of every sentence. STOP

:)

Poppy said...

Oh, and LOL

(That was for Mal :P )

Guinness_Girl said...

You know what's weird? I once had a guy respond to an email I sent with, "Who REALLY uses colins in emails these days, other than you?" I think his inability to understand is why we only went out on one horrendously dull date.

Incidentally, I found my husband online. I like to think we'll last longer than 6 months, too.

Guinness_Girl said...

Whoops, make that "colon."

Anniina said...

Okay, I'm late in finding this topic, but since I saw it on your search bar on the right I had to read it. I think you're absolutely right Stefanie, et al. If a person can't spell, punctuate, or otherwise uses language in a horrendous manner, I just want to slap them, not date them. And for Mal... LOL!