Tuesday, April 04, 2006

You people make it look so easy

So, I know a bit of HTML... more than a bit, actually. I can customize my sidebar, I thought. No problem.

Gah.

There's a reason it took me months to get around to doing that. As with most projects I innocently and confidently attempt, I ended up spending three times as long as I expected, only to achieve less-than-expected results.

Clearly I am not a rocket scientist. Or a web developer. Right now, the two seem equally unachievable.

If anyone can tell me why the hell the first item in the first list on the right is covering up its bullet, I'd be much appreciative. If you can tell me how the heck to modify or add to the text in the "About Me" box, that'd be fabulous, too. The mysterious code that lies behind that box is one I just can't seem to crack.

I'll tinker with it more later. Right now it's entirely past my bedtime. Grrr.

Edited to add:
Hmmm. From my work computer, that bullet (on "100 Things") looks fine. Maybe it's just a Firefox issue? I'm confused.

Seriously, if anyone has any advice about the "About me" box, though, let me know. Drop a note in the comments or send me an email (stefanie1874 AT yahoo DOT com). Thanks!

7 comments:

Darren said...

I think you just go in and click "Edit Profile" on the main access page. Just scroll down and add the text you want in the appropriate boxes.

-R- said...

I read Welcome to My Planet a while ago, and on Monday I just finished Shannon Olson's second book, Children of God Go Bowling. I loved them both! Children of God Go Bowling made me laugh out loud (while riding the bus) and made me cry (at home, thankfully).

Stefanie said...

Darren--I don't want to edit the profile itself (well, I should do that, too, but that's not what I'm talking about)... I just want to edit what's in the green box in the sidebar. In the template, all that's there for that box is some cryptic code; nothing I can figure out how to modify.

Oh well. I guess it's not that important; I can leave the dumb box as is and just put other links in the white box if I want. Thanks anyway.

The part I was particularly concerned about was the dang bullet not displaying properly, but from IE on this PC, it's fine now. (???)


R--Yes, I loved her second book, too. I see from your profile that you're in MN as well. I think I liked both books even more because of the local references, but I think someone from outside the Twin Cities would still appreciate them despite the continual references to the Guthrie or Byerly's or Target, etc.

Anonymous said...

Did you figure it out yet? If not, e-mail me and I'll help you!

-R- said...

Yes, I am in the Twin Cities too!
I read the first book when I first moved here, and I liked being able to identify the things she talked about, but you definitely do not need to know anything about MN to enjoy her books. Sorry I can't help with anything html related (as you can tell from my blog!).

Stefanie said...

R--I went to a reading of "Children...Bowling" when that one came out, and one of the questions someone asked Olson was whether any of the local stuff didn't translate well to other areas of the country. I thought it was funny that she said the multiple Target references were the thing that raised the most eyebrows when she did readings elsewhere. Obviously, in the Twin Cities (Target's home base), we have for years appreciated what a great store it is, but in other parts of the country, Target=cheap discount crap, like old-school K-Mart or something. I guess only recently has Target really taken off nationally. Now I see Target-love all over the Internet, but I guess it's a fairly recent development.

OK, that was a really long comment to your comment, but it's my blog; I can do that, right? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Gaaah. I can see the bullet, S, and I use Firefox. This is really bothering me that we can't figure this out.