Sunday, April 23, 2006

Stamp collecting

This weekend, I somehow managed to forget or ignore the fact that I am old and antisocial and actually went out three nights in a row. I don't remember the last time I did that, and I'm considering the faded black smudge on the back of my hand a bizarre badge of honor for this accomplishment.

The smudge is, of course, the remains of the stamps that three separate burly men in doorways pressed onto my skin in that semi-permanent ink of which bars and concert venues are so fond. Three showers and multiple handwashings are no match for that stuff; I'll be showing traces of my weekend tomorrow still , I'm sure.


Stamp #1 - Thursday, Northrup Auditorium
Thursday night, six friends and I went to see Franz Ferdinand & Death Cab for Cutie on the U of M campus, where we were pleased to see we were not the oldest people in attendance after all. I was cracking jokes about finding a place to stash our walkers, but as it turned out, another distinct demographic was bringing up the curve: the parents who came accompanying their teenagers. I may have been one of the few people at that show without a Myspace page, but at least I'm not sporting the Mom Hair just yet. There's some small comfort in that, I suppose.

Stamp #2 - Friday, First Avenue
Friday I was at First Ave. for Rhett Miller's show, where I was too transfixed on the impossibly energetic Rhett, with his free-swaying ever-bendable hips and his shiny tousled rock star hair to pay much attention to anyone else. Few artists make me swoon like the giddy teenagers I've seen on old Beatles concert footage, but Rhett has a strange power over me that actually made me flutter my hands in front of me involuntarily more than once. He appeals to the good-girl geek in me. Sure, it's nearly a given that any man who's reasonably attractive becomes instantly sexier when he picks up a guitar, but the fact that this one has worked Kafka and Salinger and long division into his lyrics only adds to his charismatic appeal. I'm convinced that when Rhett introes the song Four-Eyed Girl with "This one's for nerdy girls everywhere!" he's speaking directly to me, of course. (I'm fully aware that he's got a wife and two small children who I'm sure he's loyal to completely, but let me have this one small fantasy for just a moment, OK?)

Stamp #3 - Saturday, Mario's Keller Bar
I haven't been to this place (or any loud crowded place with hundreds of young singles in scope 'n hope mode) in probably over a year, but I went there last night for a going away party for the last guy I mentioned in this post, who's taking a job in China for a year. I'm not sure what to consider the highpoint of the night... hearing an accordian-fueled polka version of "Love Me Do"? Jumping on a bandwagon about four years late and ordering my first vodka & Red Bull? No, I think it was being told by a 26-year-old guy that I have "a great body for a 32-year-old." Thanks for the twisted half-compliment, buddy. I'm sure he gets all the ladies with gems like that. Clearly if I were 27, he'd deem me a bit flabby, but since I'm 32, his expectations are lower and it ups my rating a bit? I shouldn't be so harsh, I suppose; he seemed like a nice guy (more or less), and he did at one point turn to his friend to say, "I like this girl; she's smart." Still, between the body comment and his friend's repeated request to make out with me, I'm really torn over which of the two wins the award for most charming and eligible bachelor. I'll admit the whole scenario was entertaining, though I can't decide if the experience means I should hit the bars again more often or less.

Stamp #4 - Tonight, my living room
No, I'm not inking up a rubber stamp and charging a cover for friends entering my home. What I'm referring to here is the checkerboard impression that my couch cushion made on my face when I dozed off for a bit just now. I may occasionally still try to party like a 22-year-old, but the bounceback will just never be as quick.


9 comments:

Stacey Brandow said...

At least you didn't wake up with the stamp from your hand now on your face because you slept with your hand against your face all night and you were too drunk to move. :)

Stefanie said...

Hah! Like poor Drew Barrymore with the "Loser" stamp on her forehead in "Never Been Kissed." I forgot about that. I love that movie.

Anonymous said...

Stewart Ransom Miller, serial lady-killer!

Love him. And he's pretty much the only guitar player these days who can do the full arm swing-around as he plays (please know what that means because I can't describe it any better) and look awesome doing it.

Stefanie said...

Maliavale! I TOTALLY know what you mean with the arm swing-around thing! I love it, too. Every time he did that, it just made me smile. Oh, and the hips--the hips! HOW does he move them that way?? [Swoon]

I saw on his web site that he's coming to Baltimore in June. Are you going to see him there??

-R- said...

Myspace scares me. I have only stayed in touch with 2 people from high school, and one e-mailed me some links to the myspace pages of some people we knew from high school- freaky!

What did you think of the FF/Death Cab concert?

Stefanie said...

R--Myspace doesn't scare me; it just confuses me. All the chaotic backgrounds, and the startling music, and the confusing links... Agh! It's like schizophrenia on a web page. I don't get it.

The FF/Death Cab show was good, too. We were in the very last row of the main floor, though, so it sort of felt like we were observing a concert that was going on in the next room, rather than being fully part of it ourselves. I was surprised I actually liked Franz's set better than Death Cab's... On CD, I'm more partial to Death Cab. Live is a totally different experience sometimes, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I despise MySpace. It's like a CULT! And it's not like I don't have enough Internet crap going on. (Hello, blog, right.)

I don't know that I'll get to see him then, but I'm going to try! I saw him with the Old 97's in ... when was it ... early 2004? I need to get into the new album. I have it but haven't listened a lot. Rachel Yamagata sort of bothers me on principle, though I love him.

Well. Now that I sound like an asshole, I'm going to go now. *skulks away*

Stefanie said...

Malia--Is Rachel Y. on more than one song on that album? (I don't have the new one yet myself, though it's on my list.) In Minneapolis he had some local girl fill in for her on that part. I didn't like her any more than I like Rachel Yamagata. She was on stage for only the one song, though, so it didn't wreck the whole show for me or anything. ;-) Surely one little duet is no reason to skip the show and miss some fine Rhett viewing!

Isabel said...

For the record, Rhett DID the arm swing at his show in Malibu this weekend. Although I'm sad to report he did NOT do the other arm swinging out thingy that I love.

And seriously, the man is hot. And can sing. And write. And dance. The fact that he has a wife and kids makes him even hotter.