Friday, March 17, 2006

When friends are like family

Lisa: So, what do you want for your birthday?

Me: Um, I don't know... You don't have to get me anything.

Lisa: Oh, shut up. I'm getting you something. Is there anything in particular you need? I mean, I know I can always get you a book or a CD, but that seems so boring.

Me: ...

Lisa: Do you still have your Amazon wish list? I guess I could check that...
[audible typing as she goes to Amazon.com]
So, this is the stuff you want? What is... These are all CDs. Don't you have anything but CDs on this list? Aren't there any movies you want or something?

Me: Um, I think there are a couple movies on there, aren't there?

Lisa: Gigantic? That's a movie? What's that about?

Me: It's a documentary about...

Lisa: Pasta straining pot? You want a pasta pot??

Me: Well,...

Lisa: Oh, Beth Orton. You don't have that one? Hmmm...
Yarn Girls? Eh; you already have a yarn book. You don't need that.

Me: ...

Lisa: Suf... Somebody Stevens? Who is that? I don't even know any of these CDs. Why haven't I heard of any of these bands? The Postal Service? Are they good?

Me: You haven't heard of The Postal Service? And you make fun of me for not knowing some Kanye West song?

Lisa: Heh. Dawson's Creek? O-K...

Me: Are you really critiquing my wish list?


Lisa is one of those friends who often feels more like a sister, in that we're sometimes painfully honest and occasionally careless with each other because we know we can get away with it. In this particular instance, however, I feel like I just had a conversation with my mother (that is, if my mother were just a tiny bit snarkier).

6 comments:

Darren said...

One thing that just never got old for me growing up was putting together a Christmas list, presenting it to my mom, having her look over it, and then having her tell me the things I didn't actually need.

She honestly doesn't understand why I never call her.

Mair said...

The new Beth Orton is good. Did you like Cause Celeb? I've had it sitting on my shelf for going on three years. I'll pick it up, chew on my lip a little as I look at the back cover, hem and haw, and put it back down with a, "Eh."

Poppy said...

I wanted to say this yesterday but Blogger was being a poo bucket.

I own Gigantic!!! Love it!!!! That is how I was introduced to Sarah Vowell.

Stefanie said...

Darren--Are you sure our moms aren't friends?

Maliavale--I've finished "Cause Celeb," and "Eh" is pretty much what I'd say about it, too. It was OK, but I didn't love it. Don't read it expecting to laugh and relate to it comparably to "Bridget Jones's Diary." It's a totally different sort of book. If you go into it knowing that, maybe you'll have a better reaction.

Poppy--I love it, too! (That's why it's on my wish list.) And Sarah Vowell is my nerd hero. That film only made me love her more.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...love of Sufjan. I love him so much, I want to give everyone I know his albums so they, too, can know love such as this.

I find it hard to tell people what I want, mostly because half the time, I just have NO idea.

Stefanie said...

Nabbalicious--I knew someone would know who I was referencing there, even without the full name. (Never mind if some of my friends have no idea who he is...)