Friday, June 30, 2006

And now, for something not at all different...

I know that a lot of bloggers participate in that Thursday Thirteen thing, and I've often thought about jumping on that bandwagon myself. Lists? I love lists! Sharing pointless details about myself? I can do that! Having a default topic to post about at least one day a week? Sounds good to me! But thirteen things sounds like an awful lot. I mean, some thirteens would be no problem. I could, for example, easily come up with thirteen songs I love or thirteen ways to annoy me no end. But other thirteens would be significantly tougher to enumerate, particularly if I have to do it every week.

So, as with so many things in my life, I'm taking the lazy, half-assed approach and starting my own "Friday Five" feature instead. I realize that if I were truly to do this half-way, I should actually go with a "Saturday Six-and-a-Half" list, but coming up with something clever to be the "half" each week sounds even more daunting than the full thirteen. So Friday Five it is. Presumably I'll continue this each week until it's no longer interesting or amusing to me (which, if that Stillwater Homies idea I abandoned almost immediately is any indication, may be sooner rather than later--we shall see).

Anyway, here we go: the first of my Friday Fives...


Five things I have no idea why I remember
  1. What I was wearing the day my last two relationships ended.

  2. My high school locker combination (16-36-18).

  3. All the words to an extremely annoying and unfortunately infectious song from a kids' show I never even watched. The show was Lamb Chop's Play-Along (my little sister watched it; I was just, apparently, nearby); the song is This is the Song That Never Ends.

  4. The birthdays of at least half the people I have ever known (including ones I have not seen in over ten years).

  5. Large portions of two of the paragraphs we had to recite for pronunciation tests in Spanish II. The first goes, "Vacaciones! Esta es mi familia: mama, papa, mi hermano Diego, y yo. Soy la persona con la maleta," which essentially means, "Hey, we're on vacation! Here's my family: my mom, my dad, my brother Diego, and me. I'm the kid with the suitcase." The second one proclaims the wonders of an apparently impressively outfitted kitchen, and it starts, "Que cocina, eh? Dos estufas grandes..." That's all I remember, but really how much more do you need than "What a kitchen! Two big stoves..."?

-----------------------------

Note: I realize that part of the point of the Thursday Thirteen meme is to be a member of the TT community and cross-link to find new blogs and direct more readers to your own blog. I couldn't find anything similar for a Friday Five (aside from a couple that post five questions to answer each week, which wasn't really what I wanted to do), but I don't particularly care about that anyway. If anyone is aware of kindred lazy spirits hooking up for an organized group of Friday Fivers, however, feel free to clue me in.

12 comments:

stinkypaw said...

It's funny to see what weird info our brain retains, isn't it?

Do you remember what you wore when you met your last 2 relationship?
I've had the same lock since high-school and very recently I totally went blank for the combination... can't remember it AT ALL!
I'm the same for birth dates, once I know it, it's in there.
I remember the first sentence I've learned in English, which was: "Kick the ball Sandy. All right, Tom."

Ooops! Just re-read your post and jsut realised that I sirt of did answer... oh well!

Guinness_Girl said...

Dammit. I just wrote a long comment and lost it. Basically - count me in on Friday Fives. And your list cracked me up.

Stefanie said...

Stinkypaw--Nope, oddly I don't remember what I was wearing when I met either guy. The last one I knew for a long time before I dated him, though, so I sort of have an excuse for not remembering in that case.

GG--Cool; I'll look forward to reading your lists as well. :-)

ePixie29 said...

I'm so glad I lucked into finding your blog. But now you've given me a music worm - UGH!!!

This is the song that never ends...OMG!!!

ePixie29 said...

OK - I decided I'd like to do a Friday Five too. In fact, I just posted!

Red said...

Sweet; now I can break into your high school locker.

Unknown said...

Stefanie,

'Las Cinco del Viernes' is very popular in the spanish language blogs. I think a blog even exist for pre-set questions that people go to and answer in their own blog.

I was lazy to do even five back then. Can I cheat and only answer 2 and a half?

Poppy said...

Re #4: I have the unpleasant memory of a number of my ex-boyfriends' birthdays. Sucks.

-R- said...

Thursday 13 started out as a good way to come up with at least one post each week, but I am starting to struggle a bit with them (as you may have noted with my lame post last week). I am going to stick with it at least a little while longer though and see how it goes... although it may eventually become the Thursday Three.

Miss Peach said...

This is a great idea, and your list is hilarious. My most random inexplicable rememberance is, I think, all the words to the rap break of "Have a Funky, Funky Christmas" from the New Kids on the Block's Christmas Album, circa, oh, '91? Every once in a while I'll find myself walking around, thinking, "Stop, it's Christmas time! We're gonna celebrate it with a rhyme." I could go on, but I'll save you the pain of it.

If you're seriously looking for compadres for Friday Five, I might just join in!!

Stefanie said...

Miss Peach, I think we've just found the generation gap between mid/late-20-somethings like you and early 30-somethings like me. I will admit to a brief New Kids adoration around the "Hangin' Tough" era, but I have never, ever heard the Christmas album. That's hilarious, though.

Sure, join in for the Friday Fives! If people are seriously doing this, I'll add a list of participants to my sidebar, but I don't have the mad skillz to go all fancy and create shared code to form an official group or something.

Miss Peach said...

Stefanie, perhaps we have. (Hanging head in mock shame).

I'm planning on joining in the Friday Five fun this week. Official groups? Shared code? I don't speak that language. I say we all just go to it!