Tuesday, June 27, 2006

We've got balls*

If I had to list the three things I probably write about too often (or at least, more often than I write about anything else), those things would be bad dates, punctuation, and the gym. This is not about bad dates or punctuation.

Some of you may remember the post Red wrote a couple months ago about her fancy, schmancy new gym. For whatever reason, the part I remember most about that story was the part about the lady at the desk rolling her eyes and apologizing that they had a step class going on. "I guess some people are still into Step," she apparently said. I read that and was hit with the same embarrassed confusion I remember being aware of in first grade, when I watched Blair chastise Jo for wearing "last year's jeans." At the time, most of my clothes were hand-me-downs not even from my older sister but from the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store where my grandmother volunteered. I had no idea there was such a thing as "last year's jeans." If the jeans still fit, weren't you still supposed to wear them?

That strange Facts of Life tangent was basically my way of saying I had no idea Step was passe'. My gym still offers Step classes regularly, and I've been attending those classes somewhat regularly for over three years now. The teal/magenta/gray color scheme of the steps and support boxes is pretty much a dead giveaway that those props have been in the aerobics studio since the late 80s at least, but I didn't realize the same props weren't still in use at everyone else's gym as well.

In any case, I think my gym finally noticed that Red's gym was pointing and laughing and mocking it openly, because suddenly all of the Step classes are being replaced by BOSU ball classes. If you're a member of one of those cool-kids gyms, you probably saw these things years ago already. Since my gym is as big a dork as an eighth-grade-me, however, I had to look it up. If you're clueless like I was, here--I'll help you out: click this link.

It took about five minutes of my first BOSU class for me to start feeling comfortable on the ball and enjoy the change of pace to something new. I started bouncing with confidence, actually entertaining the thought that this might be fun disguised as exercise! As I jumped and hopped around, I remembered being young and carefree and full of energy playing in the Moonwalk at county fairs or bobbing around my parents' basement on a Hippity-Hop.** This wasn't just a workout; this was a chance to reconnect with my youth! Considering I can't drive past a trampoline in someone's yard without plotting ways to sneak back and jump on it without getting arrested (or worse--having to befriend a person under 10), this was quite exciting to me.

That was the first five minutes. It took another five before I realized I have no business on a BOSU ball. I am not what you would call coordinated (actually, I believe we've covered this already). I am, after all, the girl who once tore a ligament jumping down the two tiny steps in her parents' living room because a balloon happened to be between her foot and the floor. This memory resurfaced quickly when I landed on the BOSU wrong and turned my ankle a bit. I was pretty sure my BOSU endeavor was over as quickly as it began. Fortunately, I recovered discreetly and got back on the ball (and just remained a bit more cautious thereafter).

I've been to three classes now, and I think I'm getting the hang of it, though I wonder how long before the novelty wears off and BOSU gets as tired and routine as Step. I think my gym's management is a little worried about that, too, so they're trying to keep us distracted and overstimulated enough that we don't notice. When they brought in the carts of blue BOSU balls, they didn't remove the teal and magenta Step paraphernalia. They just added the new equipment right alongside the net of brightly colored red, yellow, and blue balance balls, which hangs to the left of the plastic Rubbermaid bins filled with green and purple resistance bands, red and yellow rubber tubing, and floral-printed yoga mats. In addition, the gym's also started offering hooping classes (again, presumably to disguise exercise as fun and bring out our inner child), so a gaggle of multi-colored hula-hoops now hangs on the same pegs that hold our spongy red situp mats. I get a headache just looking at the chaos of colors that this cluttered mess of props has created in the studio. The place is like a fucking circus.

In other words, I'm pretty sure Red's gym will still point and laugh, but now there'll be a tinge of pity to the ridicule. My gym is like the loser in a John Hughes-era movie who tried to buy the right clothes and put on the right makeup to be just like the popular kids, but still ended up getting it just a little bit wrong. Come to think of it, maybe my geeky, awkward gym is actually the perfect place for me after all.



----------------------------------------
* I'm sure I'm going to some sort of Blogger hell for pulling out a pun as bad as that, but since a better title just isn't coming to me, that is, unfortunately, the only title you're going to get.

** Did I really need to link to those, or would you all have known what the heck I was talking about even without the visual aids?

13 comments:

ePixie29 said...

While the BOSU has been around for quite awhile, in the past it has mostly been used as a tool for personal trainers and strength coaches. I didn't know they were using them in classes at gyms!

Anyway, I think it's great that you are trying out something new. It's good to shake it up every once in a while and step out of your comfort zone. Speaking of which, have you tried balancing on the flat of the BOSU and doing squats with a bar on your back yet?

Anonymous said...

Who would've thought that the trendiness of high school would follow some people into adulthood...Alot of people, actually. I'm proud to say that I am just about as untrendy as I was in high school. If people enjoy step, then why don't they continue to offer the classes?

As far as last year's jeans...Maybe if they are a good deal, I'll get a pair next year.

Stacey Brandow said...

I might go to blogger hell for saying this but I enjoy any statement, sentence, title, and/or response that contains the word "balls". That word makes me laugh, probably more now then when I was 11. When the quirky lawyer on Ally McBeal would say, "oh balls", I would always laugh. That doesn't make me sound very good does it?

And I know exactly what a hippity hop is because I bounced all over our basement floor with it as a child. But I still enjoyed the visual aid.

Anonymous said...

I like to put bad puns in blog post headlines to get them out of my system. It's cathartic.

And I knew what they were, but not how you necessarily had a class on them. I've only ever seen them in fitness magazines with people standing on them while doing bicep curls or the like. Odd.

Stefanie said...

epixie--Yikes; no, I haven't tried that! The only thing we've done with the BOSU flipped over is pushups and stuff. Standing on it that way sounds like a recipe for disaster for me!

3Carnations--Yeah, I'm not much of a trendster, either, obviously, and it really doesn't bother me very often.

BMC--Heh heh, "Oh balls." I do remember that, and it made me laugh as well.

Malia--I know... every possible title I kept thinking of for this post had a "ball" pun in it. ("Having a Ball," "On the Ball," etc.) And once I went down that route, there was just no coming up with anything else!

Anonymous said...

See, I thought Step had crossed the line from "fad" to "standard." Like, treadmills or stepmills. They have Step at my gym, but then, I belong to the Y, but those are all over the map. They're like the not-quite-awesome, but not-quite-nerdy kid who somehow manages to be pals with everyone.

I saw some girl jumping on the BOSU today at the gym, incidentally, and my first thought was, "Oooh, girl. You are going to sprain your ankle." Then I wondered if I was just being paranoid, but I'm glad to know I wasn't!

I did stand on one with the rounded side down for a few minutes last week, and I liked how I could feel everything from my abs on down working to keep me upright. Maybe I'll try a weights routine on it this week!

-R- said...

"My gym is like the loser in a John Hughes-era movie who tried to buy the right clothes and put on the right makeup to be just like the popular kids, but still ended up getting it just a little bit wrong." -- I love it! Your poor gym with its blue eyeshadow and too low jeans.

I freaking love the BOSU. That is the only workout I have ever actually enjoyed.

Red said...

If it helps, my gym is way too cool for me, too. In fact, I'm afraid they might think I'm homeless person and they're getting ready to tell me they don't have any spare change for me, but then I take out my membership card.

Viva la step! Along those lines, I'll still defend Tae Bo to the death. The summer that that was popular, I got pretty skinny. Plus I felt like I could maybe beat someone up, if the fight was set to techno and Billy Blank had my back.

Stefanie said...

Nabbalicious, I love your description of the Y. That's perfect.

R, glad to hear you're not sick of the BOSU yet. Maybe it won't get old after all (which is probably good, since now that my gym got the balls, they'll probably stick with those classes for the next 17 years).

Red, I never really got into Tae Bo, but maybe that's because I wasn't doing the "official" Billy Blanks version. I'd probably find him so intimidating that I'd work extra hard out of fear that he might come out of the TV and kick my ass. (Great. Now that "come out of the TV" thing made me think of that movie that both you and I were entirely traumatized by. The movie that shall not be named. *shudder* Sorry about that.)

Guinness_Girl said...

So THAT'S what those things are! They have 'em over by the "come stretch here" mats at my gym - but no official classes yet. I think my gym is even more loser-y than yours - we have neither step nor BOSU nor whatever this hula hoop magical class is to which you referred. We are, however, apparently very big on spinning.

Stefanie said...

GG--I sounds (from other comments above) like a lot of gyms have the BOSUs on hand for individual use. What's odd is my gym bought that whole cart of them, but apparently didn't think to put any outside the studio for that sort of thing. Too bad; it would probably be entertaining to watch people try to figure out what to do with them.

Poppy said...

Keep them balls away from your face, they probably smell like other people's ass. Yuck.

I'm not about to be flopping around on any ball. I'll stick to gardening. :)

Stefanie said...

Ew. Thanks, Poppy, for that lovely and vivid thought. Actually, the instructor has us wipe them down with Clorax wipes after each class, but I suppose it's a valid concern for anyone using them in the "come stretch here" area.

And I just noticed a typo in my own damn comment above. "It sounds," not "I sounds." Duh. I should really just make the leap to Haloscan, I suppose, for edit-ability purposes.