Sunday, June 11, 2006

Things I found while digging up 56 years worth of weeds, random plants, and debris in the bed alongside my house

  • Two non-dairy whipped topping containers (with the bottoms cut out)
  • A very old and pliable plastic swizzle stick
  • Numerous nails, various sizes
  • What appeared to be about half of the paint chips that I painstakingly scraped off my house last summer before repainting
  • Several large and frighteningly ugly bugs
  • A power line
  • A fossilized pocketknife (with the rusted knife extended)
  • A chicken bone (or, what I hope was a chicken bone)
  • More ants*
Several of these are very good reasons I should wear protective gloves while doing this sort of work. A few others are reasons I really should look into updating my tetanus shot.


---------------------------------------------------------
* Gah!! Just when I think they're gone, they start moving closer to my house!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am always finding the most random stuff when I do yardwork (ahem, once a year). Usually it's a lot of smashed up pottery and I just pretend they're valuable Civil War-era relics.

-R- said...

A power line? That does not sound good.

Sorry about the ant army!

Stefanie said...

Ah, Nabbalicious, the pottery bits reminded me that I forgot to mention the various shards of glass I also found! I don't think they were Civil War-era relics, though. Based on the swizzle stick, I'm gonna go with wild party in the garden--highballs and martinis tossed every which way. Or something like that.

R--I know. That could have been ugly (or at least terribly inconvenient). I should be more careful when I'm wielding a shovel.

Stacey Brandow said...

I recommend always wearing gloves while weeding. I always feel like the neighbors are watching and thinking, "What a girly girl, she probably doesn't want dirt under her nails." Well, here's a tip, you still get dirt under your nails when you wear gloves, but I have yet had my flesh come in contact with a spider...glove? yes. And I can just slam it down to it's death without any of my flesh getting guts on it, thank you!

Stefanie said...

Beingmccrary--I know; I know. As if all the rusted bits and bugs and such weren't enough to get me to put gloves on, the gloves would have prevented the nasty sliver I got and had to dig out, too. Live and learn, I guess.