Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Me-me-meme

I have three or four reasonably-current posts in draft mode, but I can't seem to bring any of them to fruition, so I decided what the hell; I'll just steal from Poppy and do one of these things that I rarely (quite rarely) do. Didn't you want to know a few more minor and inconsequential tidbits about me? No? OK, well, move along then. Otherwise, here you go.

1. Which curse word do you use the most?
I never used to use the mother of all curses, the f-word, but I fear it is the one I utter hands-down most often these days. A good friend recently pointed out that I almost always use it in the cute British context of "Oh for fuck sake," however, so perhaps that makes it acceptable.

2. Do you own an iPod?
No, but I have a not-iPod--a Zen Sleek by Creative Labs, which apparently no one else has ever heard of. I also use Curad brand bandages and off-brand facial tissue. (OK, no I don't, really, but whatever.)

3. What time is your alarm clock set for?
6:10, but that's set with a snooze buffer. It's also not really 6:10, as my bedroom clock is in a different time zone from the rest of the world. But I already covered this once; there's really no reason to revisit it.

4. How many suitcases do you own?
Now why is this an interesting or relevant question? Whatever; two or three vessels that could probably accurately be called "suitcases"; several others that are just bags of various size and shape.

5. Do you wear flip flops even when it's cold?
I never wear flip flops, due to a bizarre and freakish toe issue that I fear will cause pointing and stares of horror when I go out in public. (I do bare my feet in my weekly yoga class, but presumably yoga = environment and atmosphere of peace and acceptance and understanding of all circus freak anomalies. Or something like that.)

6. Would you rather take the picture or be in the picture?
As I have far more pictures without me in them than with, I'd say probably the former. But maybe all that means is I don't hand off my camera to others that often; maybe I'm actually featured in friends' and strangers' photo albums far more often than I realize.

7. What was the last movie you watched?
A Prairie Home Companion, last night. The movie was, I must say, better than the date on which I saw it. So it goes.

8. Do you or any of your friends have children?
Most of my far-away friends have kids, but the phenomenon seems to be closing in locally more quickly than I'd like. No, I don't have kids of my own. (Seriously, did anyone really think I might?? If so, were you worried I was forgetting to feed or water them? Because those would be valid concerns, if you were.)

9. Has anyone ever called you lazy?
Um, yeah. Me. About eleventy-million times.

10. Do you ever take medication to help you sleep?
Do rum, wine, or vodka count as "medication"? If so, yes. In fact, apparently I'm medicated right now then.

11. Which CD is currently in your CD player?
I usually stick to the radio ever since The Current came to town. I think the last thing I listened to in my car CD player, however, was either KT Tunstall or Rhett Miller.

12. Do you prefer regular or chocolate milk?
I suppose if we're talking straight-up, I'll pick chocolate, but don't go putting that on my cereal or anything.

13. Has anyone told you a secret this week?
Um, yes, actually. But if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore. Everything in its time, as they say.

14. When was the last time someone hit on you?
I'm not even sure I know what that means anymore. Someone kissed me last night, though. I suppose that counts, in an entirely forward way? (I wish it had been more exciting to me.)

15. Can you whistle?
Yes, but only in the "put your lips together and blow" sort of way. I can't do that "whoot-whoo" cat-call made famous by stereotypical construction workers the world over.

16. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?
My sister, I think. She seems to have this thing lately where she needs to call me every damned day. It is a good reminder for me, I suppose, that unlike me, some people prefer to pick up the phone rather than simply send a quick and to-the-point e-mail. This is just one of many things, I'm sure, on which my sister and I do not see eye to eye.

17. Do you think people talk about you behind your back?
Probably. But I try not to think about it too much. I'm crippled by paranoia enough as it is.

18. Did you watch cartoons as a child?
Can I skip a few of these, for no other reason except that I have no interesting answer to them? Yes? OK, cool; thanks.

21. Which movie(s) do you know every line to?
Maybe not every line, but I'm sure I still have large portions of Say Anything, The Princess Bride, The Sound of Music, and Pump up the Volume committed to memory. ("Talk hard!" "The truth is a virus!" "I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen." "Just another moment and we'll be safe in the fire swamps." "Fraulein Maria's come back from the abbey!" Oh, you get the picture.)

22. Do you own any band t-shirts?
I'm not much of a logo-shirt wearer, so I tend to avoid the overpriced band-related apparel. I do have an REM shirt from the way-back days, however.

23. What is your favorite salad dressing?
Salad? That involves vegetables, right? Yeah, I don't do salads all that often. When I do, I suppose I'm a dressing whore, as I pick something different each time.

24. Who was the last person to make you mad?
Mad? I don't know. Probably my own dumb self, actually.

25. Do you do your own dishes?
I'm not even going to change Poppy's answer here: The dishwasher does my dishes.

26. Ever cry in public?
I'm sure I have, but I like to block this sort of thing out of my general consciousness.

27. Are you on a desktop computer or a laptop?
Desktop. I just got the damn thing only a little over a year ago; do you really think I'm high-tech and advanced enough to go straight to the laptop?

28. Are you currently wanting any piercing or tattoos?
I considered a tattoo when I was in Scotland my junior year of college, but haven't really thought a lot about it since. And my ears are the only thing that's pierced at this point, and it will very likely stay that way, unless some unexpected mid-life crisis makes me want to expose my stomach and get a belly-ring. (Not likely, I imagine.)

29. Would you ever date someone covered in tattoos?
I would like to say it would depend on the someone, but in all likelihood, probably no. Not because I have something against tattoos, really, but because I don't generally run in the circles where a heavily-tattooed man is to be found. Therefore this question really isn't likely to be relevant to me, I think.

30. What did you do before this?
Typed half-heartedly at the aforementioned draft posts. Then looked for diversions on other sites and decided to do a silly meme.

31. When is the last time you slept on the floor?
Probably on a supposed camping trip last summer. I intended to sleep in a tent, but Jamie's tent was made for Hobbits or small children and not for full-grown adults of 5'9" size. So the floor in the pseudo-cabin it was.

32. How many hours of sleep do you need to function?
More than I generally get, obviously.

33. Do you eat breakfast daily?
Yes, but I take it to work with me, so I can sleep ten minutes later and avoid the need for second-breakfast or elevensies. (I can't believe I worked a Hobbit reference in twice in the same post. I'm really not a LOTR geek; you'll just have to trust me on that.)

34. Are your days full and fast-paced?
If your idea of "full and fast-paced" includes lots of email-checking and web-surfing, sure.

35. Do you pay attention to the calories on the package?
"Pay attention to" or "heed the warnings of"? Just because I read it doesn't mean I won't still eat it. And that is why "the paunch and the roll" (as I dubbed my midsection on a camping trip years ago) is never going to leave me.

36. Do you use sarcasm?
Frequently. It doesn't always work for me, unfortunately.

37. How old will you be on your next birthday?
I just had a birthday only a few months ago; do I really need to worry about 33 already now?

38. Are you picky about spelling and grammar?
Um, hi. Have you met me? (That'd be a yes, of course. Do I really need to dig up the links to use as reference points?)

39. Have you ever been to Six Flags?
What kind of obscure and corporate-sponsored question is that? Fine; yes, I've been to Six Flags Great America (in Gurnee, Illinois), but the last time was about 14 years ago.

40. Do you get along better with the same sex or the opposite sex?
I try to stay away from sweeping gender generalizations such as this. It depends on the person, really, though I have more female friends than males these days, it seems.

41. Do you like mustard?
Honey mustard, yes. Other types on occasion.

42. Do you sleep on your side, stomach, or back?
My side, usually. Evany's quiz was actually right on this one.

43. Do you watch the news?
Not very often. That's what the Internet and NPR are for.

44. One of your scars--how did you get it?
A doctor once tried (unsuccessfully) to correct the freakish toe issue mentioned in #5. I have the scar to show for it, but I still can't wear flip flops with confidence.


Are you tired now? Yeah, me too. I don't know why this list had a random 44 questions, but I don't think I would have made it to an uneven 45 (or an even 50), so this'll about do it for me.

13 comments:

Stacey Brandow said...

You know I'm going to steal this...because I have the some problem with the drafts and work gets in the way. Damn work.

Anonymous said...

I have a number of drafts going as well. Sometimes I stumble across one from months ago and will think, "Why did I ever think THAT would make a good post?"

Oh, and it's Gurnee, IL, which I only know because my aunt and uncle live there. I've been to that park, too!

Stefanie said...

BMC--Work's always getting in the way of other things for me, too. The nerve; it's like they think they're paying me to be there or something.

Nabb--Thanks. After I shut down my PC last night, I remembered that two ee's was more likely the proper spelling, but I wasn't going to start it up again and change it at that point. I love the irony of my including a spelling error directly after the question that admits my spelling and grammar snobbery. I am a big fat hypocrite, apparently.

Jasclo said...

Second breakfast! HAHA. My husband and I joke about that all the time.

-R- said...

I am very curious about your toes now.

Stefanie said...

R--It's really not that bad; no one's actually ever recoiled in horror upon seeing my feet, but I'm still a bit self-conscious about it. My little toe sort of crosses over the adjacent one for some reason. Honestly, most people just look at it sort of puzzled and say, "That's weird..."

Incidentally, I love that after posting this, I got a search engine hit today for "circus freak sideshow."

Red said...

"What kind of obscure and corporate-sponsored question is that?" Haha. Also, love your choice of medication!

Poppy said...

I'm exhausted from reading your post. You put waaaay more effort into your responses than I did. I'm just in it to make myself chuckle, though.

Anonymous said...

I have toe issues, too, and I also need a pedicure in the worst way. This is bad because I really, really have a love of the flip-flop.

Stefanie said...

JN--What are you doing blog-reading on your birthday evening?!? You should be out enjoying good food and drink (and hopefully paying for none of it)! I hope that is in the works this evening as well, and the blog-reading was just because you needed a quick Internet fix. (Oh, but, um, thanks for reading; really! You'll come back when it's not your birthday, right? Thanks.) ;-)

Oh, and Poppy? I swear I didn't put much effort into this. I didn't really stop to think about any answer for longer than a few seconds; it just took for fucking ever because there were so damn many questions!

ePixie29 said...

Honestly dear, I feel sorry for you that you actually watched A Prarie Home Companion.
This was a good "get-ta-know-ya" post.

Stefanie said...

Oh come now--I'm a liberal in Minnesota. Do you really think I can get on the Garrison hate-wagon? No way; sorry. I'm not sure who told him he can sing, but I do enjoy many other aspects of what he does.

ePixie29 said...

I guess I'm just saying that A Prarie Home Companion is better on the radio than on the big screen. Though with all the stars in the film, the credits of the director, etc. the movie will probably be nominated for at least one Oscar.