Thursday, December 06, 2007

I've got questions; you've got answers (don't you?)

First off, it is snowing. Again. I guess I'm sort of embracing it at this point. If it's going to be teeth-chatteringly cold outside, it might as well be all pretty and sparkly and white, too. It's weird because I don't remember any time in my adult life when we've had this much snow in December, but I have to admit, Christmas decorations look a lot more festive when there's snow.

That said, I am happy to be getting out of town today and getting on a plane bound for someplace warmer. Of course, by "warmer," I mean it will be 40 degrees instead of 3. To call Seattle in December "balmy" would be a stretch.

Oh. That's right. Did I not mention I'm going to Seattle? I don't think I did. I was all caught up in NaBloPoMo when I booked it--too busy detailing my life in alphabet form to stop and rattle on about a trip. By the way, I realize I still have X, Y, and Z to do in my Encyclopedia, and I intend to do that eventually... even if my friend who rarely reads and never mentions my blog did make a point of bringing it up recently just to say, "You know, I don't really like the alphabet posts." The nerve. (Kidding. Love you, Lisa.)

Anyway, so I am off to Seattle, and it all seems a bit silly, because it is a very brief trip (only two full days) and I didn't even make any effort to contact the very few Seattle blog-folks I know are out there to ask for suggestions or possibly see about meeting for a drink. Oh well. Perhaps I will run into them anyway. Notorious T.O.G., if you see me wandering about your city this weekend, feel free to flag me down and say hi. Of course, I have no idea what you look like, so if you would actually prefer to avoid me, that shouldn't be a problem either.

Short trip or no, it will be good to get away for a bit. Given the fact that I had 115 hours of unused vacation time left at the beginning of this month, I obviously don't do this enough.

I'd love to give you some things to ponder during my absence, and since I won't be near a computer to post a Friday Five tomorrow, how about a Thursday Three instead? Here are three things I am wondering this week. If you have answers to any of these questions, by all means let me know.

  1. Why do I forget my gym socks only on the days I've worn black socks to work? And furthermore, why is it only on the days when I am actually feeling motivated to run on the treadmill, rather than being content to just lift a few weights standing in one place? Wearing running shoes without socks isn't terribly uncomfortable. Actually running in them without socks definitely is.

  2. Why does every "Dad" birthday card that isn't sappy involve jokes about farts, fishing, or fixing things? I would like to wish my father a happy birthday next week without once again alluding to a little elephant running by (his bizarre code phrase for passing gas), but what am I to do when he's also not a fisherman or in any way handy? Hallmark, get on that, would you?

  3. Why do I keep getting email from a music publicist mentioning bands I've never heard of and videos and press packs I've never received? If she's actually a blog reader, I don't want to offend the woman by ignoring her, but if that's the case, I wish she would identify herself as such. If not, I would like to know how I got on her mailing list and why she thinks Stefanie Says is a music blog. (Oh. Right. Because I go on and on about things like dinner with near Bob Schneider and my undying love of my fake boyfriend Rhett Miller. I see her point, I guess. But really--are any of the rest of you getting mail like this?)

And with that, I'd better pack and get moving. Happy (early) weekend, all.

8 comments:

Jess said...

I only forget my gym socks on the days I wear tights to work. Seriously. Yesterday I had to play in our volleyball playoff game without socks. And we lost.

Have a good time in Seattle!

lizgwiz said...

No one sends me email based on the content of my blog. Which is a good thing, since I talk way too much about cat poop, if my search stats are to be believed. ;)

Anonymous said...

Woo, have fun on your random trip! I've only ever been to the Seattle airport. It was pretty nice, but I think you'll have a better time than I did. :)

The Other Girl said...

I think we're still officially considered a disaster zone after Monday's flooding, but I haven't seen anything in the city that's as bad as what's making the national news. It's mostly just kind of gray, which is actually perfectly normal for ... October through May. I would also say that it's really cold, but since "really cold" for us means "around 45 degrees," I will just imagine that you are scoffing at our wussiness.

Aaron said...

Enjoy Seattle, yo! And I agree on the birthday cards for Dad; there's not a lot to choose from. That's why I just buy my Dad cards that are to, say a 5-year old, and then I add a six after the five. Or whatever. Wait, what year is it? Okay, a seven. Next year an eight. You get the idea.

I also think it's "hilarious" to buy people cards for the wrong occasion, then scribble it out and write the correct message. "Have a Spooky Halloween!" becomes "Sorry for Your Loss" with the stroke of a Sharpie.

Noelle said...

I've totally done the black socks thing. Except it was blue socks with green frogs. And it was kickball.

L Sass said...

Yay Seattle!!! Sometimes the Puget Sound region gets a lovely day or two in December--you never know.

metalia said...

You forgot the other Dad card option: Golf. :)