Sunday, October 26, 2008

If I keep this up, I'll end up accidentally marrying one of these guys

Him: So, do you want to go out again?

What I was thinking: Um, I don't know... I mean, I like you, and I've been having fun hanging out with you, but I'm not sure I really feel it going anywhere. It sort of feels like a friend thing. Maybe something more could build from that, but maybe not. Frankly, to be blunt, I'm not sure I'm ever going to want to rip your clothes off. Plus, I've been dating this other guy at the same time, and I feel weird that I haven't told you that, even though we've in no way said we're doing anything exclusive here (and even though I'm not sure I want to rip his clothes off either), so my attention is sort of divided and frankly I'm just not sure I want to keep making time to date both of you. Or either of you. GAH; I don't KNOW!

What I SAID: Sure!

Seriously, who am I, and what happened to the date-and-run girl who used to live here???

In other news, NaBloPoMo is quickly approaching. Seeing as my blogging's been less than prolific of late, I don't know why I think signing on for that might be a good idea, but as I've done it the past two years, it does feel wrong not to give it a go a third time.

I realize, though, that the only thing that got me through NaBlo last year was a theme. Those of you who were around for that may remember I did this "Encyclopedia of Me" thing that several other people picked up on as well. (Some of you may also remember that I never actually finished the alphabet, but I did finish my full month of posting, so let's just forget about that little detail.)

Anyway, so I need a theme. And I thought I'd come up with one. I decided to do a "30 Dates in 30 Days" collection. Not that I would actually go on 30 dates in 30 days, mind you. (Aside from the fact that with all that dating, I would have no time to write about the dates, I think my four-date week a while back proved that no good can come from a marathon like that.) Instead I would simply write about 30 dates, current ones or amusing or painful ones from my past. You'd read that, right? Maybe?

But then tonight I read about this x365 project, and I thought that could make a good theme as well. Instead of 40-word posts about 365 people I've known, however, I'd do 30-word posts about 30 people. That could be fun, right? It would also guarantee all my posts would be short, meaning that those of you whose feed readers fill to capacity during NaBlo could happily zip through my line in your list in a minute or less. (I'm here to help, people. I have only your short attention spans best interests in mind.)

So help me out here, folks. What should I do? I'm not ready to let you guys pick my future husband quite yet, but I will let you pick my NaBloPoMo theme. (Maybe. I think. Aw, hell, just vote!)


This is my first attempt at including a poll, by the way. If it doesn't work, I think you can go here to complete it instead. Let's see!

22 comments:

3carnations said...

I enjoy reading about your dates. Even the ones that aren't horror stories! :)

shelleycoughlin said...

Yeah, the dating stories are always fun. Or hey, you could do 30-word posts on thirty different dates? That could also be really fun.

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

30 dates will be fun! And of course you can always fill in with stories of past dates as well.

Anonymous said...

I selected the first option, but I also like your posts about Facebook and whatever else too.

I am not signing up for November posting this time because I am not sure I could do it what with having a baby and stuff.

Alice said...

hee, i see option #1 is currently winning by a landslide. i love reading about dates! :-)

Noelle said...

If all else fails, you could do another edition of "Encyclopedia of Me" but start the entries from Z.

Anonymous said...

I voted for the 30 words about 30 people idea. But I also think I'll be too busy with my own first NaBloPoMo to be reading much of yours. I'll be happy to read whatever you write, as always! Hmmm now to think of my own theme....

steve said...

Dates! Dates! Dates! I say it's time to bring a third guy into this mix - see just how frazzled you can get. It'll make for some great reading, once you recover enough to post about it.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Dates. And I *will* be around to read since I'm not doing NaBlo this year; actually catching up on blog reading is part of the reason I'm opting out.

Anonymous said...

okay, on the poll, i voted "i'll be too busy writing my on nablopomo posts..." which is true, only i WILL be reading your posts, so if i were able to change my vote, i'd say 30 dates in 30 days.

also, my name is also stefanie, but i'm (obviously) not the same one that writes for this blog. not many of us stefanies with an "f." :)

Jess said...

The poll! It works! Yay!

Courtney said...

Bring on the dating stories! And if you ACTUALLY go on 30 dates in a month, so much the better.

Anonymous said...

I voted for 30 Dates in 30 Days, but I also like the 30 Words about 30 People idea. And if you end up having no theme, I will still read you every day.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I voted '30 dates'. But I wish I'd voted 'Other: Actually GO on 30 dates in 30 days'! :)

Aaron said...

I clicked the "couldn't care less" button to be snarky, but seriously, make with the date posts, Stefanie Says!

Stefanie said...

3Cs--Come to think of it, very few of my dating stories are horror stories, right? More like misadventures and tales of social awkwardness.

NPW--You're right; I COULD have fun with that. And my posts would still be super-short for you folks to read. Hmmm.

Dutchess--Oh, don't worry. That's the plan. I don't think I'd survive the month if I subjected myself to 30 NEW dates.

R--I think that sounds reasonable, though I do expect you to post at least once from the birthing room. (Kidding. Please don't.)

Alice--You're right; it's a small landslide, but a landslide in comparison nonetheless, huh?

Noelle--Yes, but I'd probably still get stuck at "X," just like I did last time.

Pam--A theme totally helps, I think. Good luck!

Steve--I saw a guy in a Match dot com email today who looked interesting. I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea, though...

Michelle--That sounds like a good plan too. You post nearly every day anyhow. Time to give yourself a little break!

Other Stefanie--Another one?? Man, there are a surprising number of us out there, actually.

Jess--Yay for technology! Whee. Now I'm thinking about all the other things I could poll you guys about... :-)

Courtney--Yeah, a date on Thanksgiving even! (I'd like to try explaining THAT one to my parents...)

Flurrious--That's very kind of you. Will YOU be participating this year? (I suspect no.)

12ontheinside--Yeah, there's a reason I didn't make that an option. ;-)

Aaron--I'm glad you were just being snarky. Even though I'm the one who wrote out the options, I'm still a little hurt by the "I couldn't care less" and "Those are both terrible ideas" responses! :-)

Sauntering Soul said...

I voted for the 30 dates theme. I like to read about others who have suffered so I know I haven't been alone in that little area of life.

Maddie said...

Yes, 30 dates in 30 days!!! :)

I'm glad to hear you'll be writing about it and not making them...I've done four dates in one week and frankly, it's exhausting.

Carrie said...

I voted for the 30 people in 30 words idea. Your dating perspective can rock the house, but as your real life friend, I'm a little biased and would love to see your more thoughtful-serioso side. But that's me.

I love this polling thing.

Mickey said...

So whether or not you want to rip the guy's clothes off is your litmus test? Really? Maybe a second date is a good idea. You could get to know him beyond his outward sex appeal, shallow.

I'm so kidding. Sort of. But seriously, maybe your passion for this guy will just be a slow burn. You never know.

Stefanie said...

SS--You are not alone, my friend. Not alone at all.

Pants--Exhausting, and depressing to boot.

Carrie--Well the 30 people idea is edging in only slightly above the "I couldn't care less" answer, so it looks like the dating posts idea wins. I might still do the 30-word idea at another point, though (or go with the original project, at 40 words).

Mickey--It's not a litmus test on a first date, but this was a fourth (fifth? I forget now...) date. Is it shallow to be considering that after five dates?? Actually, to clarify, it's not that I don't think the guy is attractive; for some reason I'm just not attracted TO him. There's a difference. (Right? I hope? Is that still shallow? Sigh.)

Maddie said...

I'm finding out exhausting and depressing can have positive outcomes. :)