Friday, November 09, 2007

Traffic and weather

Well, weather, anyway...

This just in. It is snowing. As in, real and actual flakes falling from the sky with enough density that, if it keeps up, it might actually accumulate. It won't keep up; it'll probably stop any minute now, but still. Snow! Already! Agh!

I used to love the first snow. It was pretty and magical and made me think of fun things, like sledding and ice skating and building snow forts in the yard. I hate that being a grown-up has sucked all the fun out of snow. Now all I think about is shoveling and poor road conditions and the fact that I still haven't raked the leaves in my yard or moved my hose reel and lawn chairs inside for the winter. It's sneaking up on me this year. I don't know where October went.

This is sort of a "Thank you, Captain Obvious" post; I'm confident I've had at least a few original ideas in my life, but this surely isn't one of them. I guess I'm just struck by how much time seems to be speeding up recently. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Snow brings on melancholy, it seems.

I'll be back later with the G. Love and Special Sauce in my Encyclopedia of Me... or, the G, anyway. Maybe a little bit of love, but certainly no sauce, special or otherwise. (I don't even know what that means. Snow makes me melancholic AND nonsensical, I guess.) As it's the end of the week, G will double as a Friday Five, of course. It's two, two, TWO posts in one! I'm sure you cannot wait.

Happy snowy Friday, all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have snow now, it is just a matter of time for me. I dread it. I literally panic when driving in snow. To be honest, that is why I accepted the job I have- driving in snow terrifies me and this is a way to avoid it. The snow and the fact that it is getting dark at 4:30 makes me depressed. I simply dread winter.

And that way your Friday downer- brought to you by the letter W- for either whiny or Wisconsin- or maybe both.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for Gs and 5s.

And snow in November is f'ed.

L Sass said...

It's snowing?! Sigh. I miss Minnesota.

lizgwiz said...

I loved snow when I was a kid, too. Now...it just means stress. Growing up sucks! And turns you bitter, and makes you snap at your clueless stay-at-home mom friend when she sends an email rhapsodizing about the beautiful snow, including pictures of her and her son enjoying said snow, not giving a fig about her friends who have to DRIVE TO WORK IN IT. Not that that happened to me last year or anything.

-R- said...

The snow has stopped here, and there is no accumulation. In case you need a weather update.

Whiskeymarie said...

Yeah, no piles of the white stuff, but the big flakes were pretty, if only for a moment.

Mickey said...

You've given me one more sign that we're getting old: our attitude toward snow. I hadn't really thought about it until now, but you're right. I used to consider snow the ultimate harbinger of fun; now, it's just an obstacle to safe driving. Geez...

Anonymous said...

Snow? WTF??? I would say you need to come to Philadelphia, except that it's f-ing cold here right now (but no snow) too. BOO.

steve said...

I love driving in the snow, and I dig how everything is so quiet and stark after a big snowstorm. Thankfully, I can now drive an hour if I really want to see snow, but don't need to live with it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Snow, huh? I guess that's good... Normal for late fall... I really hope that that snow doesn't get anywhere near here...

Jess said...

I dreamed last night that it was snowing at our wedding and none of the guests could get there. I think it was because of the roaring German wind against the window. But still. Now I'm afraid of snow.