Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Olives and Turkey and Puffins (oh my)

Incidentally, if that last post seemed a little strange, please refer to my first NaBloPoMo 2006 post. Yes, yes, I know an important link in it is dead, but that is not my fault. That is the fault of the fabulously hilarious woman who goes by the name The Other Girl (I prefer to call her Notorious T.O.G.), who took down her blog for apparently no other reason than to deprive the people of what they want ("what they want" being more posts from The Other Girl, of course). Anyway, she warned that if she was going to do NaBloPoMo and write something every damn day, at least one post was bound to say nothing more than "I like peas." I'm more partial to olives. And I needed an "O" post. And Liz was patiently waiting for what she called "The olive post" anyway.

So that's that.

In other news, I took Aaron's advice and watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving last night. I thought I had somehow managed never to have seen that one yet, but in the middle of Peppermint Patty's angry rant at the dinner ping-pong table, I suddenly said, "Hey, this does sound familiar..." And then I remembered that every Charlie Brown special involves at least one angry rant directed at poor Chuck, so I may or may not have ever seen that one after all.

I'm going to have to agree with Aaron that A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving isn't in the same league as A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. My favorite part, hands down, was when Charlie Brown was fretting over how he could possibly make a Thanksgiving dinner for an uninvited group of friends all by himself. "All I know how to make is cold cereal! And maybe toast," he said.

Oddly, I was actually having cold cereal for dinner while I watched this, which means I am at least as good a cook as Charlie Brown. Yay for that. And also Yay for Peanut Butter Puffins, which I just realized could totally be my "P" post.

Could, but won't. I promise.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter puffins are my favorite cereal, ever. And oh, they're so cheap at Trader Joe's! It's like eating Captain Crunch but still be in an adult.

Anonymous said...

I have never experience the wonder of peanut butter puffins! Must find! Did the Charlie Brown kids really eat dinner at a ping-pong table? Hmm.

lizgwiz said...

They never explain where the "wah wah wah" Charlie Brown parents are while the kids are eating toast at a ping-pong table. Out accepting their "Parents of the Year" trophy, no doubt. ;)

Jess said...

Way not to cop out. But mmm. A post about peanut butter. I would be interested in that for sure.

3carnations said...

We haven't watched that yet this year, though we have the video. What strikes me these days, as I watch the Charlie Brown movies with my son, is those kids just weren't very nice to each other. I think someone calls someone else "Stupid" in every single one.

Stefanie said...

NPW--I know! And they don't tear up the roof of your mouth like Cap'n Crunch, either. It's a win-win!

Lara--Well, there was a table cloth over it, but yeah. Also, look for Puffins in the natural/organic aisle.

Liz--I know; I wondered about that, too. Someone drove them to Grandma's house in the end, but apparently that someone was oblivious to there being ten kids in the backyard for a popcorn and jelly bean feast.

Jess--Mmmm... peanut butter. :-)

Stefanie said...

3Cs--Sorry; I wasn't skipping you on purpose; you slipped through while I was typing! I would probably care more about that sort of thing if I had kids. For myself, I'm not so worried the Peanuts gang is setting a bad example. :-) I do feel bad for that poor Charlie Brown, though. Dude couldn't cut a break.

The Other Girl said...

I noticed they changed the ending of the show. They used to have Snoopy and Woodstock carving and eating a turkey over the end credits, which is a little cannibalistic in Woodstock's case, but still awfully cute. Now they're eating pumpkin pie. I assume someone complained about the whole bird eats bird thing? I don't know, but if that's what happened, then people need to calm down because I'm about 95% sure that the Peanuts specials aren't real.

Aaron said...

I feel so influential. Maybe one blogger can make a difference. And listen, Stefanie, I'm sure you've seen it before; after all you do live in America.

Is The Other Girl right?! Did they change the ending?! I always watch the DVD...hmm...must investigate...

L Sass said...

I kind of have a soft spot for Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, simply because it really isn't as good as the Great Pumpkin or Christmas shows. I really enjoy the key role that Snoopy plays in the creation of Thanksgiving dinner. Peanuts is really all about Snoopy for me.

-R- said...

I hate all the Charlie Brown movies. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I also hate olives.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving.

steve said...

I, too, feel very TOG deprived. Word has it she's doing the other NaNo (NaBoWriMo), so we may be in for a treat...

Noelle said...

I love Puffins, but did you notice that exactly one week and two days after you open them, they go completely stale?