Sunday, November 18, 2007

Is this why people thought prohibition was a good idea?

Remember a couple months ago when I talked about having an absinthe party? (What do you mean, "No"? You expect me to believe you have better things to do than retain everything I ever say? Impossible.) Anyway, my friend Carrie and I co-hosted that event last night, and though I spent most of today feeling as sodden and benumbed as the tortured artists who made the Green Fairy legendary in its day, I would venture to say that the party was a success and a good time was had by nearly all.

I am feeling rather foggy headed, not so much from absinthe specifically but from absinthe and vodka and champagne and wine, not to mention a 6:00 a.m. bedtime. People, I am too old for this. I know this, and yet I continue to pretend I can party like a rock star. Or, in the case of an absinthe-centered event, party like Hemingway. And when it comes to indulging in absinthe, Hemingway was just a damn fool. I mean, the man mixed his absinthe with champagne. I am no expert on the substance, but I can say that of all the concoctions I sampled last night, that one was, hands-down, the most vile.

I was going to proceed with a list of other absinthe-related lessons I learned, but frankly, I am too damn tired at the moment for even a bullet-point post of laziness. So how about a photo essay instead? Work for you? Oh good. Here we go.

Me pouring my first absinthe of the night


Michael demonstrating the ritual as well


Carrie demonstrating for another absinthe apprentice


Look! Even -R- came. If only I could drink with all my blog friends... Incidentally, -H- still thinks we look like sisters. I don't see it; do you?


Carrie and the Green Fairy (I suppose they were my TWO co-hosts for the night)



Full set is on Flickr if you're interested. And now I'm off to bed.

14 comments:

-R- said...

I think I was already drunk in that picture.

Thanks for inviting us. It was fun! I can't believe you guys kept going for SIX HOURS after I left!

Anonymous said...

I had that Party Like A Rockstar song in my head the entire time I was reading this. I love fancy dress party!

3carnations said...

I've always thought you guys look like sisters!

Anonymous said...

looks like a fantastic time. I have always wanted to try this drink- do you recommend it?

Stefanie said...

R--It's not so much that we kept going for six hours, but there were head wounds to attend to and seemingly hundreds of glasses to wash, etc. After all that, I just didn't get to bed until nearly 6:00.

NPW--I know; it's just fun to get all fancy once in a while (for something not work-related), right?

3Cs--Really? Even without the identical glasses? I guess I just don't see it.

Monkey--It was fun to try it... Did I LOVE the taste of it? No. But was it terrible? Also no. In short, I don't necessarily need to have absinthe regularly, but I would recommend trying it just to say you've had it, I guess.

lizgwiz said...

You had some very nicely-dressed guests for a drunken brawl. ;)

Aaron said...

1. Looks like a blast.

2. I think you may have set a record for the most appearances of the word "absinthe" in a single post.

Stefanie said...

Liz--There was no brawl, but one guest did have an unfortunate run-in with a porch swing. (The porch swing won.)

Aaron--You know, I didn't even notice that. I'm going to blame the residual effects of absinthe. (Absinthe. Absinthe.)

Anonymous said...

I think I'm one blog friend who can be counted out of drinking absinthe. I have not yet learned how to walk on crutches while drunk. I think you and -R- look like sisters. Adopted sisters.

L Sass said...

I am sort of afraid of absinthe. I've never tried it! But, I don't dig on black licorice, so I may just opt not to experience this part of life.

That said, I'd happily come to your absinthe blog party and down champagne.

-R- said...

How do you get your lip gloss to stay on all night???

metalia said...

First of all? You look foxy. And I want your lip gloss.

Second, it has been one of my secret dreams (ever since Moulin Rouge...shut up) to drink absinthe. I wish we lived closer!!

Stefanie said...

Noelle--Can't you rent a wheelchair for the night? That would be even MORE fun! Who knows where drunk people would decide to wheel your poor crippled self...

L Sass--It wasn't scary. No one hallucinated or otherwise lost control of their reasoning any more than they would have on any other sort of alcohol. Plus, absinthe is a drink with props! Doesn't that sound fun?

R--I don't. I REAPPLY! :-) OK, seriously, Saturday night being a special occasion, I broke out something stronger than lipgloss--a long-wearing lipstick where the color stays and you just reapply clear glossy stuff over it periodically (i.e., as often as I would otherwise be going for my lip balm).

Metalia--Thank you, my dear. And since that's two comments in a row about my lip gloss, I will get off my lazy butt to go get it so I can reference it properly. (...pause...) It is Maybelline Superstay lipcolor, in Cherry (735). I think SundryBuzz (or maybe Mighty Goods) raved about it once, and I went to write it down only to realize I already owned the damn stuff. Not that that should surprise me. ;-)

Oh, and I wish you lived closer, too! I'd love to see you break out your karaoke skillz sometime.

Anonymous said...

You're hair looks so pretty! How fun to get all dressed up! :)