Thursday, November 22, 2007

Obligatory Thanksgiving Entry

----------------------------------------
For an explanation of this alphabet theme, see my first NaBloPoMo post.
----------------------------------------

P is for Pumpkin Pie.

It's a cop-out, I know, and frankly, while I like pumpkin pie perfectly well, I'll admit it's really not a significant enough part of my life to warrant inclusion my the Encyclopedia of Me. P should be for piano lessons. Or Poochie (my first dog). Or Peter & Paul (my grade school). Or any number of more meaningful-to-me words that start with that letter. I don't care. It is Thanksgiving. Is there really any more fitting "P" word for today? I think not.

I am off to my parents' house in Wisconsin in a few minutes (or "Sconnie," as H insists on calling it, seemingly just to annoy me--I swear, he found at least three opportunities to work it into conversation at the Absinthe Party last weekend, and I did not take the bait even once). It's going to be a traditional family meal, and since this is my family I'm talking about and not any truly "traditional" one, that means we'll be having day-old KFC reheated in my grandmother's microwave. You think I am kidding. I assure you, I am not. Really.

There will be pumpkin pie, though. Homemade with love and care by a stranger at the Copps grocery store bakery. Undoubtedly topped off with Cool-Whip from my grandma's fridge. Whoo. So I am thankful for that. And in the spirit of the obligatory Thanksgiving entry, here are a few more things for which I give thanks. In fact, in the spirit of the "Thursday Thirteen" tradition that led me to start Friday Fives, how about I list 13 of them?

I'm thankful...

  1. That all lanes of Highway 36 are finally open again.
  2. That my little sister will be home for Thanksgiving, so we can continue our Home for the Holidays screening tradition.
  3. For libraries.
  4. For NPR (and even more, for MPR's The Current).
  5. For Netflix.
  6. For my health, and the health of those I care about.
  7. For the Internet and all the fabulous friends I've met through it.
  8. For wine.
  9. And cheese.
  10. And chocolate brownies.
  11. For my blue yoga pants, which continue to make me as happy as many of the boys I've dated ever could.
  12. For indoor plumbing and heating and all sorts of lovely conveniences not available at the first Thanksgiving.
  13. That I have a home, a job, a caring family, and good friends--all things it's far too easy to take for granted but which I appreciate immeasurably.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope your KFC is fresh today. Happy Thanksgiving!

-R- said...

H wasn't bating you. I have never heard him actually say "Wisconsin." He says "Sconnie" to everyone. Umm, maybe he was baiting you though because why the hell did he mention it multiple times? Probably the same reason I joked about swinging to a total stranger. (I will let you draw your own conclusion as to what the reason is.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Other Girl said...

I think a big pile of KFC mashed potatoes and gravy is a perfectly respectable Thanksgiving dinner. (I made about a dozen typos in that one sentence and I'm not sure if I caught all of them; I'm not drunk, I'm just in a food coma.)

Hope you had a great holiday!

The Other Girl said...

Actually, "coma" is probably the wrong word, as the comatose generally can't type at all. I can't think of a more appropriate word, though. Lord, I'm full.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you! Also, I love that your traditions are even more un-traditional than mine. Hope you had a good one, and that your pumpkin pie was delish!

Anonymous said...

Aww, happy Thanksgiving, friend. I am thankful for you!

L Sass said...

The right pair of pants are far more important than any man, it's true.

Anonymous said...

I'm way behind here, but can I just say I love Home for the Holidays. Excellent movie!