Monday, July 28, 2008

"Monday Six" just doesn't have any sort of ring to it

Regardless, six reasons that today sucked significantly less than the average Monday:
  1. When I hit snooze one time more than I should have this morning, it was with the knowledge that I had been uncharacteristically responsible and plannerly and already packed both my breakfast and my lunch the night before and therefore I had TIME to lounge in bed those extra nine minutes! I was even on time for work for once! Yay!

  2. I got to leave work early, because...

  3. I had a claims appointment with the insurance company of the girl who rear-ended me last month, where they decided to issue me a check for my minor damage (damage I likely won't bother having professionally repaired) in an amount that conveniently almost covers the cost of my new water heater.

  4. Accepting said check and not using it to actually repair my car is not insurance fraud, as both my own agent, Slippy McLeadfoot's agent, and the claims adjuster for Leadfoot's policy all suggested that it was totally up to me whether I wanted to have the scuffs on my bumper repaired but that I was fully entitled to the money anyway. Whee!

  5. When I got home from work and the "Wow; thanks for hitting me, lady" appointment, waiting on my doorstep (finally!) was a box containing the beloved Birkenstocks that I sent off to have re-stained and re-soled a few weeks ago. People, it was painful packing those up and sending them off into the big scary world on their own. But now they are back! And they look nearly brand new. (Unfortunately, they are also as uncomfortable as brand new, but my feet will mold the cork into that trademark Birkenstock custom fit soon enough, I'm sure.)

    Check it out. Before...



    And now...



    Miracle workers, I tell you. I think it was money well spent.

    Speaking of money well spent, that brings me to #6 on my list...

  6. A lovely salad with fresh(ish) bread for dinner, culled largely from yesterday's haul at the St. Paul farmer's market. Seriously, why am I buying my produce from the grocery store when there is fresh, locally grown lettuce available for half the price in the open air? I neglected to take a picture of tonight's salad, but I did take one of dinner last night, also composed of farmer's market finds. Fried zucchini cakes (I said dinner was produce-based; I didn't say it was wholly healthy) and caprese salad. Yum. Where is that girl who used to eat Hot Pockets or frozen pizza at least twice a week? Apparently she doesn't live here anymore. (I can't say she won't be back in the fall.)






OK, all of that was entirely too much uncharacteristic good cheer for a Monday. If I were to be more like my surly and defeatist self, I would fear that the week can only go downhill from here. Instead, I shall try to be like Bing and accentuate the positive. Don't mess with Mr. In-Between.

So. What sort of start is your week off to thus far?

16 comments:

amanda said...

Sounds like an almost new pair of shoes. Was it cheaper than buying a new pair that way?

Maddie said...

Your cute shoes are all shiny and new!

I had a pretty typical Monday. Meh.

steve said...

That salad looks freakin' STELLAR.

shelleycoughlin said...

So is it cheaper to have your shoes resoled and restained than to buy a new pair? Because they look brand new anyway.

And now I want fresh basil and mozzarella and it is 8 a.m.

Stefanie said...

Amanda--Yes, it was about half (maybe two-thirds) the cost of a new pair, but the main reason I did it was that Birkenstock doesn't make that style anymore and I couldn't find a replacement I liked as much as those.

Pants--So far my Tuesday's pretty Meh, so I hear you.

Steve--It was. I made another one for lunch today. Yum. I still can't believe I got a bunch of basil as big as my head for a dollar. A DOLLAR. Why didn't anyone tell me the farmer's market was such a good deal?

NPW--Any time is a good time for fresh basil and mozzarella? (And see answer to Amanda above re: the shoes.)

Anonymous said...

It cracks me up that you took a picture of your shoes before sending them out in the world.

Anonymous said...

I am most excited about the fact that you could hit snooze one more time. Sleep is important!

I am second-most-excited about the check from the insurance company. Yay!

Anonymous said...

That's it - I need to find a farmer's market around here. Food that is healthy, tasty, AND cheap? Sign me up.

Noelle said...

I woke up early and swam in the Hudson River this morning. It was great. After that, everything started to suck, but that's just work.

Now I really want some caprese.

L Sass said...

That dinner!
Those shoes!

A very nice Monday, indeed.

Courtney said...

Yummy food! Good-as-new shoes! Fortunate insurance claim! Your Monday rocked.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you DID have a good Monday! :)

That food all looks delicious!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Love the shoes, and look at you go with that healthy eating! Woohoo! Farmer's markets are *definitely* the way to go...and when you become a regular you'll get even better deals ;)

Stefanie said...

Flurrious--In my defense, I could say that I took the "before" picture so I could send it to the shoe repair people in advance to make sure my Birks were a good candidate for their services. But the truth is I probably would have taken the picture anyway, for my own nerdy comparison purposes.

R--All exciting, right? And sleep IS important! Word.

Cookie--I know, right? A ginormous bunch of basil for a dollar. A DOLLAR. Who knew?? (Everyone who goes to the farmer's market, obviously.)

Noelle--You swam in the Hudson River?? Wow.

L Sass--Indeed.

Courtney--And Mondays so rarely rock, right?

Lara--To be honest, the zucchini cakes were good, but probably not amazing enough to justify the fried unhealthiness of them. But oh well. I wanted to try them. Eh.

Michelle--Really? There are farmer's market secrets? I'm intrigued.

lizgwiz said...

I tried to comment three times yesterday, and my internet went down each time just as I was hitting "publish." Just pretend I commented and said that one really insightful thing, and that other really funny thing, okay? ;)

Stefanie said...

Liz--Works for me. You were so funny and insightful! Really! :-)