Monday, November 20, 2006

Public Service Announcement

A friendly suggestion: When attending a conference call with 120 other individuals, it is a good idea to put your telephone receiver on Mute. Particularly if the host of the conference has already asked you to put your phone on mute no less than six times during the first fifteen minutes of the call.

I may not be getting much action lately, but that does not mean I want to hear your heavy breathing in my ear. That bristling you do not hear right now? (You know--because I actually put my phone on mute?) That's the sound of the hairs on the back of my neck standing up with every breath you exhale.



Hmm. It seems maybe I could have come up with a full list of five phone-related annoyances after all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAHHH. I would claw my eyes out. And then my ears, since they were most affected. But eyes + clawing = funnier.

Anonymous said...

Occasionally, we have conference calls at work and I'll call in to hear what's up.

I'll admit it: once I called from the gym. But I asked my friend Jasclo later that day if she could hear me huffing and puffing, and she swears she couldn't hear a thing. She's a good friend and a good liar, methinks.

Anonymous said...

There seems to be a problem with people not using the mute button! I must admit that I would prefer dealing with my crazy hand gesture lady than dealing with that breathing though.

Anonymous said...

I don't know...If NOBODY put it on mute, it might be fun to play "Guess who coughed".

lizgwiz said...

Ewwww...just how heavy WAS the breathing? Maybe someone found the subject of the call very...moving.

Stefanie said...

Malia--You're right... eyes + clawing does = funnier. ;-)

Nabb--Admit it. That was you on my conference call, wasn't it? I didn't know you worked for [insert name of client company who hosted the call]! (Just kidding. I know you don't.)

R--Good point. I think the hand gestures sounded much more amusing.

3Cs--Yeah, that's a game I really don't need to play.

Liz--Let's just say "Darth Vader" came to mind. And no... Not a "moving" call. Ew.

Poppy said...

That's why I prefer to attend conference calls that are automatically muted for everyone except the host. :)